My boyfriend joined the Airforce, he is leaving in three months, should I break up with him?

Heya Everyone,

My boyfriend joined the Airforce before I was together with him. He didn't have a ship date, but recently got one. We have been together for about 3 months now. He leaves in September for boot camp.

He offered on one occasion for me to stay with him through boot camp and then when he comes back we can talk about it and see what we want to do. With the possibility of me moving in with him. I did some research and the only way I could move with him on base is to get married. I'm 23 years old, I don't want to get married.

Since the breakup seems imminent, should I break up with him now or in September, or should I stick it out and wait through boot camp.

Thank you for reading this and giving your advice.

44

Most Helpful Girl

• I've dated a lot of military guys because of where I live. And a lot have gotten orders to move, most didn't mention anything about trying to stay together when they left. Yours has- so I think it's pretty safe to say he cares about you very much, now you just need to decide how much you care about him. After boot camp he will go to a school then after that he will get stationed somewhere and stay anywhere up to four years, boot camp in 6 weeks and a school is 9 if I remember correctly- that's not too horribly long to wait and you could find an apartment and job in whatever city he gets stationed at. The main problem will be his living situation. Unless he goes in as an officer he will be in barracks... And you can't get on base, that's hard. My boyfriend is a marine and the marnies like single marines to live in barracks so they are on base for any catastrophe. He's got the rank to be able to leave if he was in the navy but he's not... So we have to meet somewhere, I leave my car there, he picks me up, then brings me back to my car in the morning or he picks me up at home. So that's a huge hassle. And once again you really must think of how much he means to you