Can you date someone whilst having feelings for someone else?

Guys, are you able to date someone else, do the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing, go on holidays, say I love you etc. if you still have feelings for an ex?

Say you broke up because of distance, but the feelings were still there, would you ever fully move on?

What if you hadn't moved on fully and got into another relationship?

Thoughts?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• "Guys, are you able to date someone else, do the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing, go on holidays, say I love you etc. if you still have feelings for an ex?"

Could I? Easily. Would I? No.

"Say you broke up because of distance, but the feelings were still there, would you ever fully move on?"

Once I break up, I move on. To do otherwise, is to play with pain.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 13

• I think sometimes you do have to be able to date someone else despite having feelings for someone else, to an extent it is unfair. But it's not entirely your fault, I mean after a break up it'd be so much easier if you could decide to just stop liking the person, no?

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think people ever fully move on if they never really 'broke up' with a former lover. They'll always keep their memory hidden in their minds.

Of course, they usually WILL get into another relationship. But there weill always be a certain part missing, their new partner will feel it, even if the prior lover is kept a complete secret.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've started dating people while not fully over an ex, but at the point it's a proper exclusive relationship and way before it reaches the "I love you" stage I'll have got over the ex (if not, I just won't pursue the new girl). That said, I'm sure some people choose to throw themselves into a new relationship to try and bury their feelings for their ex (seems somewhat harsh to string the new girl along though).

0|0
    0|0
  • If you broke up, especially due to those toe of reasons, than it can 100% still be there in terms of having feelings.

With that said, dating someone else can be a good way to move on, and help yourself to get over someone.

Feelings don't just disappear over night but you can still have an attraction towards someone else. I don't know if I'd tell the new person I love them if I'm still having feelings for the ex, but you can definitely date other people

0|0
    0|0
  • This varies from person to person. Some guys are more "tunnel visioned" than other guys. We get set on one woman at a time and after we break off a relationship we go back "on the hunt" and move on quickly. However, not all guys are like this, which is indicated by the other responses.

0|0
    0|0
  • The answer is absolutely yes. Male brains don't really do the 'I can only accomodate one mate!' thing. It's just not in our nature. We can love looots of people, very thoroughly, joyously, and sincerely.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes you can I really liked this girl I was dating but I can't get this one girl out of my mind.. has been this way for over 5 years... broke up with the other girl years ago..

0|0
    0|0
  • I know that *I* can't do this, but I know that some guys do, just to soak in the female attention, and/or to hone their "skills with women".

0|0
    0|1
  • I could, but I wouldn't.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as you're not doing anything with the other person...since that would be cheating

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, of course. Moving on will take a while for some people but they will get over the feelings anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure can yes

0|0
    0|0
  • Easily

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• I could totally do that. The feelings for someone do fade away the moment you realize your life is short and you are missing opportunities if you're stuck on one person. It may be just a whim, so get it out of the way and see that there are so many other people available. Before one person is totally out of your system, you can give yourself the chance to try and date.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course, people do it all the time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it's very possible. Humans are not monogamous.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes