First time moving out any tips?

So I'm moving to Austin, Texas in August and will be living by myself while going to culinary school and playing music professionally. Was wondering what tips any of you had for meeting people, things to which would help me etc?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Austin is a great city. Of course I may be biased because I live only an hour away.

Lucky for you Austin is a hot bed of cultural and social activity. There is much to do and discover there. Being such a liberal city (compared to the rest of Texas, at least), I'm assuming due to UT, Austin is in the forefront of going green. Because of that they are very bike friendly within the city. They also have numerous biking and hiking trails on their greenbelt. There are lakes and rivers to canoe and kayak on, or you can run, bike, or hike on the riverside trails. The night life is slamming and there is always some type of festival or cultural event happening.

Get a bicycle and cruise around town - people are pretty friendly. Find a meet up group or visit the city website to keep up to date with what's going on. Volunteer with one of their many, many non-profits. I honestly don't think you'll have any problems connecting with other people as long as you put yourself out there.

The only draw back about Austin is it's expensive to live there. In the last decade, there has been a migration from Silicon Valley because there is no state tax and the real estate prices compared to California was nothing. Because of that, the cost of living has been steadily rising. Also, it's going to be a HOT summer, ugh.

I have a really good friend that lives there and I make sure I head up there at least once a month to meet my cultural quota.

Austin is a great place to live and I hope you take the time to explore it all.

Good luck!

0|0
    0|0
    • haha ya not going to UT I'm 23 and kinda outta the party phase. I still like to drink and have fun, but not like the college days haha. just rather have like minded people who working towards their future and self improvement sounds lame but that's how I see it today :P and of course still have fun

• Oh, I didn't think you were going to UT. I just think because it's a college town it's way more liberal and laid back than other cities in Texas. There is a lot more to do than just drink the night away in Austin. I was just there last weekend attending a charity Disco party for a nonprofit. I can honestly say that there is a lot of people there who could relate to your personal journey toward self improvement. And being a musician in one of the leading indie music capitals is a plus as well.

• Gotcha that disco party sounds rad one thing I'm def looking forward to is all the different things to do coming from a small going nowhere military city

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

• Just be friendly and chatty, that way people will make an effort to get to know you. Smile people always like being around some one who is happy! :)

Join a gym or local club of some sort for your down time.

0|0
    0|0
  • To meet people be yourself.

I was really really shy in high school and in college that changed quickly. I'm really outgoing and I'm not afraid to be myself. That's one thing I regret, not being me. Step outside your comfort zone (not in a dangerous way) and be yourself.

To start out on your own I just moved into my new apartment yesterday. I would say, save your money and work as much as you can and just save money where ever you can.

0|0
    0|0
  • Get everything in writing/pictures in regards to your living situation. It's great to assume the best of people, but be prepared for the worst.

0|0
    0|0
  • save some spending money, be yourself, people looking for room and board, roommates telkl them you have strick rules and rather live alone. don't let guy friends use your apartment for a nightcap with a girl don't let a girl stay with you more than a night or two they may try and move in. Do not store any items for friends they will never come to get it and will bring more stuff over. Make sure you keep all important and personal papers in safe place or lock and key. This is so your guest won't browse through your belongings while you are on the phone or in the bathroom.

0|0
    0|0
    • Haha lots if negative things Burr good info and point of view hopefully none of that sh*t happens

What Guys Said 1

• Don't live beyond your means, and go to parks, clubs, bars, coffee shops, libraries to meet new people.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes