PAYROLL QUESTION: Please voice your oppinion or if you think that they are breaking a law - which one?

Hypothetically, let's say that I am a cashier at a convenience store. Let's say, hypothetically, that I am an hourly employee that has been with the company for 10 years. Let's also pretend that my boss who is also the manager of the store has four weeks paid vacation per year and averages personal or medical leave/vacation every year that totals around two weeks, maybe three. Now, why this boss is on her vacation.leave,sick time - they have me the hourly employee cover that managers paperwork and various other responsibilities.

My question is this. I make, let's say, $9.00 per hour anything over 40 hours is time and a half pay. Let's say a manager (who does not only her job but doubles as a cashier too) gets a salary of $600 per week.

I think that nothing is wrong. My SO thinks that I should at least be making the managers salary for the time that I do her jib as I am a regular hourly employee - nothing more. MY SO says that my company by not paying me a 'managers salary' is breaking the law and Equal work for Equal pay.

What is your opinion? In case it matters the job is located in Tennessee.
According to her Handbook:

Convenience Store Personnel Job Description/Responsibilities

18) The employee is expected to perform all other duties, which are considered normal and customary in the convenience store industry.
At the restaurant that I work, when we have a waitress working in the kitchen - then why do we have to pay her kitchen wages instead of $2.13?

16

Most Helpful Guy

• You are paid to be a cashier. If you want to be a manager, with the associated salary/benefits/responsibilities, then you need to work hard, train and apply for a manager's job. Otherwise, you can keep being a cashier.

They're not breaking any law. You're doing what is asked of you. Your job title has not changed.

You could approach the company and ask them to promote you to an assistant manager's job.

• That's the whole point, either make her a manager or don't - but if you do not make her one, do not ask her to do the job.

She did ask for promotions. Hell - the only raises she has gotten have been due to minimum wage increases directly effecting her. She got the three promised ones, one mandated one, and one other raise. IN almost 10 years of service.

• Then I'd question why she's still working there.

• She is loyal, honest and dedicated. That and this is a small town/city with out much job opportunities.