Is it bad if ex girlfriend thinks you are dating again if you want her back?

My ex dumped me months ago because she said she never loved me. At the time, I tried hard to get her back, but she said no, but was willing to remain friends. I was not comfortable with this so I went NC for months.

Two and half months later, I saw her at an event and it was brief awkward, but friendly. A week or so after that, I saw her again, and it was friendly again. I did not know whether to interpret her cordiality as either her willingness to reconcile, or her wanting to be friends, as she stated during the breakup. Since I took her comments at face value and never received a call, text, or email from her, I decided to go out and date.

My ex found through mutual friends that I went on dates and socialized with female friends. This must have upset her because the next time I saw her a month later, my ex was completely cold and even rude to me. I am upset now because if I could not get her back, I at least would have been content that we could have remained civil and amicable with each other.

Now, I feel like I possible misread her signals when she was being friendly to me before.

Do women send subtle signals like this when they don't want to make it clear what their intentions are?

As a man, I normally would approach a woman and ask her out directly. But, in this case, my ex dumped me and only offered friendship when I tried to get her back.

Does she really have a reason to be upset? I hear she is not dating anyone. Could it be that she doesn't wasn't me back, but is jealous that I am bouncing back and that I didn't crawl back to her. She previously told me that ex boyfriends (even married ones) one call her back for hookups. She is attractive and is used to getting attention from guys.

Thanks for any advice/perspective.

20