He wants the relationship more than I do. Guys, help!!!

Long story short. We've been together for just over 2 years, living together for 8 months. I recently broke it off and we are now in the process of breaking up. Months ago when I brought up the subject of living apart but still dating he flat out told me that no, that wouldn't work, it was all or nothing. He gave valid reasons too and I took them to heart ( not easy when it means that if I ended things I'd be losing one of my best friends). After I broke it off he asked if we could still date. Apparently, after talking to some of his friends he's decided that it could work and that he really doesn't want to lose me and is willing to do what it takes to get me back.

I still love and care for him and would like to remain friends. He really is an awesome guy and does so much right. The reasons I broke it off were mainly that trust had been broken ( he cheated for the first year and almost relapsed a few times since), I wasn't ready to move in together and I needed him to step up more ( yes, I asked him to do so repeatedly). Also, I'm not sure I really like being in a full-on relationship. I value my independence too much.

This has all been very emotional and confusing. Now that I've ended it he's saying all the right things and promising to be a better partner and he really doesn't want to lose me. Trouble is, I've heard it all before and I'm so done. I don't think he's the right man for me. I don't want to give him false hope or hurt him anymore than I already have. Ug! It's the break up that wouldn't stick. Advice? Anyone?

02