Anyone feel like going some place else and starting over?

I been thinking about it a lot the last few weeks. I have recently graduated college, I haven't found a job yet, my friends have for the most part moved away. The only people I would really miss here is my parents, but I feel like if I don't move soon I am going to find a job here and feel commited to staying in this area the rest of my life. Not to mention I am still living with my parents, my mom kind of wants me to always live here and my dad has wanted me to have my own place for some time now. I just don't want to look back on this time a couple years from now wondering what could of been if I took this oppertunity now.

How many people think about this and has anyone actually done this?

37

Most Helpful Guy

• Your life sounds like mine.

I graduated college 2 years ago and have since realized that I hate my career choice and I hate my job. I live with my parents in the same town I've lived in since I was a baby. My mom wants me to stay here to be by her but my dad wants me to move out and start my own life. (I tend to agree with my dad). I've also lost touched with a lot of friends, most are still here, but I've just grown apart from many of them and made enemies with the rest. So my friend circle has greatly diminished.

For about a year I felt that it might be in my best interest to just move far away and effectively hit the reset button on my life. New town, new friends, new job, etc. Essentially I wanted to throw myself into unknown waters and see if I could swim. My best friend who moved away 4 years ago did the same thing. He was battling depression, had broken up with a 3yr GF, lost many friends as a result, and overall was living a pretty dead end life of going to community college, getting stoned, and playing video games. Eventually he decided he needed a restart. He packed up and moved out of state to live with his mom and step dad, and attend a new school. He's pretty much established a new life and it seems to have done him some good.

I finally made the decision myself to do the same thing. In 2 months I will be moving 2 states away and going back to school to change career paths. I felt that my current situation wasn't contributing to my growth as a person and so I felt I needed a change.

Just make sure, you think hard and long about this, since its a serious decision. You don't want to make an emotional decision about this. It took me about a year to decide it was in my best interest to quit my job and move.

• Thanks for that, I hope it works out for the best for you. And I have been thinking about it for a few months now and I have gathered a lot of information about a town I am chosing to move to.

• Just an update. I'm a month into my move and I couldn't be happier. I like being able to leave all my baggage behind. I've made tons of new friends who quite frankly I already like better than most of the ones I left behind. Obviously I'm still learning the area and what not, but for the most part it all feels good. The main thing is I definitely feel like I've gotten the chance to erase everything and start from square one and this time I can learn from my past mistakes.

• I am right there with you I moved back in July. It has really helped my self esteem because I have more friends now, people are a lot nicer and more open with me here. I feel like I have better oppertunities here to succeed as well.