Anyone feel like going some place else and starting over?

I been thinking about it a lot the last few weeks. I have recently graduated college, I haven't found a job yet, my friends have for the most part moved away. The only people I would really miss here is my parents, but I feel like if I don't move soon I am going to find a job here and feel commited to staying in this area the rest of my life. Not to mention I am still living with my parents, my mom kind of wants me to always live here and my dad has wanted me to have my own place for some time now. I just don't want to look back on this time a couple years from now wondering what could of been if I took this oppertunity now.

How many people think about this and has anyone actually done this?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Your life sounds like mine.

I graduated college 2 years ago and have since realized that I hate my career choice and I hate my job. I live with my parents in the same town I've lived in since I was a baby. My mom wants me to stay here to be by her but my dad wants me to move out and start my own life. (I tend to agree with my dad). I've also lost touched with a lot of friends, most are still here, but I've just grown apart from many of them and made enemies with the rest. So my friend circle has greatly diminished.

For about a year I felt that it might be in my best interest to just move far away and effectively hit the reset button on my life. New town, new friends, new job, etc. Essentially I wanted to throw myself into unknown waters and see if I could swim. My best friend who moved away 4 years ago did the same thing. He was battling depression, had broken up with a 3yr GF, lost many friends as a result, and overall was living a pretty dead end life of going to community college, getting stoned, and playing video games. Eventually he decided he needed a restart. He packed up and moved out of state to live with his mom and step dad, and attend a new school. He's pretty much established a new life and it seems to have done him some good.

I finally made the decision myself to do the same thing. In 2 months I will be moving 2 states away and going back to school to change career paths. I felt that my current situation wasn't contributing to my growth as a person and so I felt I needed a change.

Just make sure, you think hard and long about this, since its a serious decision. You don't want to make an emotional decision about this. It took me about a year to decide it was in my best interest to quit my job and move.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thanks for that, I hope it works out for the best for you. And I have been thinking about it for a few months now and I have gathered a lot of information about a town I am chosing to move to.

• Just an update. I'm a month into my move and I couldn't be happier. I like being able to leave all my baggage behind. I've made tons of new friends who quite frankly I already like better than most of the ones I left behind. Obviously I'm still learning the area and what not, but for the most part it all feels good. The main thing is I definitely feel like I've gotten the chance to erase everything and start from square one and this time I can learn from my past mistakes.

• I am right there with you I moved back in July. It has really helped my self esteem because I have more friends now, people are a lot nicer and more open with me here. I feel like I have better oppertunities here to succeed as well.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• Your mom is the same as my parents, if they see we are in a situation, we are always welcomed back home, of course this does not mean we will live off my parents, I must at least contribute something at home, example, since I have yet to wait upon my answer to recent job applications I've submitted, I do some chores at home; helping out with cooking, cleaning, heck in my case i babysit and sometimes get paid (normally i refuse cuz i love spending time with kids takes me back to my kid days). As I wait for my answers to prayers, I do ask myself, is there a purpose why I may be still at home, I mean it may seem tough now but me still at home does make a difference but one day I will be on my own but I will never abandon my parents if they need, they were there for me. Don't worry you're day will come. If you believe in doing so, go ahead but please be careful and I would not ashamed to say i will add you to my prayers as well :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I do feel that way and will probably do it.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I could, I'd do this right now. Unfortunately, starting over in a brand new place costs money, and I just don't have a lot of extra these days. I feel like I'll be doing this at some point though, hopefully within the next year or so.

0|0
    0|0
    • Well I have the money so now is ideal. My only problem is going to be getting an apartment there, because I need a job in the area before I can get approved for an apartment. Do you have a specific location you want to move? It's a good idea to do a lot of research on the city and familiarize yourself with the town a little before you move there. Best of luck at being able to move.

• Fort Collins, CO is a place I've had my eye on for a while.

Good luck to you too, thanks :-)

• Thats good and I hope you can have the life you want there.

Thank you :)

What Guys Said 6

• Every now and then I think about just taking a long drive to nowhere, literally. Just drive and drive and drive. Haven't done this, but only because lately I've found myself coming back to good old hobbies that I enjoyed right here at home.

You're still young, man. Don't worry too much about everything, and trust me, being able to live with family is nothing to be ashamed of. Free food and a place to stay, so can't go wrong with that, right? Some people aren't so fortunate, so think about that for a moment.

1|0
    0|0
    • I am not complaining about getting free things but I just don't want this to be my life

• It won't be your life, don't worry. As long as you're not "lazing" around, you'll find opportunities to do something worthwhile.

• Yup, I am looking forward to it. But only after I settled down my parents. Enough for their retirement first. Then myself.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do, I must say quite a bit. I want to relocate to a larger, more populated city. I like big cities, they offer opportunities, experiences, and a lifestyle that most small cities can not. Not to mention the scenery and downtown area in many large cites are like no other. Never the less, my obligations here requires me to be physically present, so for now, moving is just a dream.

However, I hoping to be in a position to move during retirement in a sequestered home with a lake in the rear or near by. Perhaps I can still appreciate relocating in my relaxed years as much as I would enjoy it now.

0|0
    0|0
  • I did this. The outcome was the same. Then I changed me. The outcome has been different.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been thinking a lot about that before

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on your personality. I think if you have any desire whatsoever to get away, you should. The only people who I know who are happy remaining in their hometowns forever literally have zero desire to get away.

I went to an even bigger city than my hometown for college. I'm now living in that bigger city for work. My family has moved to a different country since then for business. Many of my college friends have moved away too. I enjoy my life, even though I'm not a total non-homebody.

Before I got the job I'm in now, I got very close to being accepted for a job in Dubai. I was very willing and excited to go, but unfortunately I didn't get it. I wanted to do it even though I'd never been outside America in my life and Dubai's a very different culture.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes