Do you think 18 is too young to move in with a boyfriend?

A couple of my friends moved in with their boyfriends right after high school. Now, a year later none of them are together anymore. Do you think it was stupid of them to even attempt to live together at that age, or do you think it's more of a learning experience?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think that there is a set age to move in with somebody. Sure it's a little young, but age is not what I'd base my decision on. What I think is that you should more consider things like whether or not you both can afford it, whether you have the money or any good plans for if things aren't going financially well.

As for when you move in with your S.O. I think it's probably a good idea to have been dating them for a couple years before you get into that. Even then, you should have a good hard think about how your relationship is going. Is there a lot of fighting? Hows trust going? Any jealousy issues? Any other problems you have right now? I think things should be worked out before two people move in together. Seriously analyze whether you think your relationship is stable. Even then, do you think you will be able to handle it if things went south? Make plans. Have exit strategies for just in case.

I will say that it IS a learning experience, but it's something you should prepare for. You don't want to dive at it without thinking hard on it, first.

0|3
    2|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• Yes. You're studying for school and hoping to get a career. Moving in just complicates things. Plus don't be one of those "Go to school of your boyfriend's/girlfriend's choice" because those fail too. I've seen multiple ones fail.

1|2
    2|3
  • 18 is quite a good age since you're already independent.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't know any 18 year olds who are fully independent...

• Most people don't end up with their first love. It normally takes a few tries to find the right match. It isn't just that they are young. Our whole culture makes it more acceptable to walk away from a bad relationship than in other places in the world. Throughout all of human history women would frequently have already been married with kids by the age of 18.

2|1
    1|1

What Girls Said 6

• Unless they've already been together for a long time (like a few years, not just months) and they have the money to do so, it's pretty dumb to do. Whether you like it or not, most relationships at 18 just don't last. It's messy to have a live-in boyfriend or girlfriend at a young age.

0|1
    0|0
  • Honestly..yes. At 18 you are still studying and working for your career which brings a lot of stress. Are you sure you are even financially stable? What about your boyfriend is he planning on working? I would wait a few more years for that. Just until everything in yor life is at a balance. You might not even have the same feelings for him anymore. Keep your friends experience as a lesson. But if you think you can make it work go ahead.

1|0
    1|3
  • you are still young my dear for such kind of responsibility.like they said you have to studies to concentrate on.Chances of having unplanned pregnancy are high also.I am 29 and I feel am not to move in with my boyfriend,i feel it would be crazy.

0|0
    0|1
  • I think it depends on how commited, not how serious, the guy and e girl are to the relationship

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think you can base the decision off of age. I am 18 and my boyfriend is 20 and we have been living together at my parents place for one year. We are moving out alone in the next month. Main reason is my parents are only letting him stay for one year and his parents are horrible so he can't go back to his place. We will be going to school and trying to start our lives. But we want to be together. We never fight, we get along well and yes we do get on each others nerves but I think that's normal. It all depends on how your relationship is. I am not saying it will be easy, we will just have to work on things as we go...

1|2
    1|1
  • Not if you both have jobs

1|2
    1|1

Recommended myTakes