What's the logic about our break up?

My ex and I were together for one happy year. He broke up with me because he was feeling unhappy lately (we didn't spent enough time together and it was my fault). I told him that I can make that right (and it's true, I can) but he didn't want to give me a second chance. I know he's crazy about me, but why did he give up so easily?

And more importantly, is there a chance to get him back?
He loved me very much and everybody saw that. I didn't mention is that he sometimes had periods of unhappyness/depression (he says it's bipolar disorder, but it hasn't been proven). I would always ask him what was wrong, but he would always say that he's unhappy with his friends, his band or his university. When he broke up with me was the first time I heard him say that I make him unhappy. In my personal opinion, he's emotionaly unstable/immature. What do you think?

113

Most Helpful Guy

• Think about a couple things:

1. Is this the first time the issue was brought up?

2. If your answer to one was "yes" ask yourself, is there a chance he has felt this way for some time, but out of respect and understanding he never brought it up?

3. Can you really change things or are there more important things that will always come first before him?

Regardless I can think of three possibilities as to why he ended things so easily without offering an ultimatum:

1. He found someone else that he is happier with and does not want to cheat on you, so he is doing the right thing by ending the relationship early. Personally I would never do this, but some guys will.

2. The issue has been bothering him for some time and is causing him a lot of stress; he no longer wants to deal with the issue nor does he want to "make it work"

3. The more you neglect someone, the quicker the "fire" dies out. He has lost interest.

If there is not another girl, chances are you can win him over. Ask him to give you a chance by staying with you for a week or two, if he is not happy, he can end things without you trying to fight for him. If there is another girl, you may be able to win him back, but only if he realizes that he truly does want to be with you.

• good thinking :) it wasn't the first time the issue was brought up. That's my mistake and that's why I thought about it and told him I can make it right. The possibility no. 2 you said would be the closest to truth I guess.

There's no other girl, but I somehow doubt that asking him to give me a chance by staying with you for a week or two would work out :/

• It's not exactly saying "Stay with me for one week." It would be more like a probationary period. He can leave the relationship within that week at any time without any drama or excuses if he feels you have not changed. The point is the make this as easy on him as you can.