Do you think you would ever divorce?

I remembered this radio talk show where this philosopher got on air and started talking about people being over-optimistic about their future. He brought as an example that there was a study done in the States in which people - single people of course - were asked if they think they would ever divorce. Although the divorce rate in the States is just about 50%, in the polls almost 90% of people said they would never divorce. Of course the statistics are going to dictate their future better than they can predict but the point is that people on general tend to be overly-optimistic about their future. That was the point the philosopher brought this study up for.

And I was just wondering - since this is a pretty large and diverse community and you are a sort of statistical sample - do you believe you would ever go through a divorce?

On the personal note here I believe it's a distinct possibility with todays nature of relationships between people. I heard many stories about all kinds of divorce people had to face. One time some divorced man brought this issue up in a small talk we had with another guy and he said that next time he'd be extremely cautious about the woman he brings home to live with. After that conversation I decided that I won't be lightheaded in that decision. I'm not just going to jump into the arms of the first woman who will show me affection, you need to really make sure it's a person you'd be willing to live the next several decades with. I believe it's better to make the right decision even if it takes more time.

• Never.
    Vote A
  • Divorce is a distinct possibility.
    Vote B
  • I think I would. (Not very optimistic).
    Vote C
  • I don't know.
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• The only way I would divorce is if he was beating me or something like that. An extreme situation. If I marry someone, I am going to be in love with them and I'm going to work through our problems and not give up.

Marriage is supposed to be "till death do us part", not "until I find someone richer and hotter".

0|2
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Wow I really like your answer. I have the same view myself. If I may only add from the guys' perspective that marriage is supposed to be "till death do us part", not "until we reach 40 and I'll set out to find a 21 years old hottei".

• I'm glad some people still think that way. :)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 7

• I think there is a very big chance that I coulddivorce somebody, because I tend to end relationships with nonrelated people easily if they f*ck me over. Butif my husband is loving and caring I would give him the same treatment

0|1
    0|0
    • At least you're realistic and honest to yourself. In my mind that's more important than any other person in the world.

• Well thanks I guess

• just because one person doesn't believe they will divorce doesn't mean their partner won't want one,we can't control the other party unfortunately..so as much as I wouldn't want to divorce I couldn't stop the other from doing it

1|0
    0|0
    • Exactly, I see it not only a question of relationships but also perspective on life. Because according to that study most people are pretty much delusional about their futures.

I think people should have a more balanced approach like your's. I guess it's that inner egoistic centrism of people not being considerate about the other party that's to blame for the divorce rates we have today.

• i don't see myself getting a divorce, but I realize that sometimes relationships don't work out and if there was no better solution, I would get one.

It's normal and good to be optimistic about your future. When you marry someone you don't think you will ever break up, otherwise you wouldn't marry them in the first place.

0|0
    0|0
  • I divorced last year. It is still not over and it has been like a living nightmare. When I got married I thought it would be until I die but that wasn't to be :(. I've got a little way to go yet though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I certainly hope not. Divorces are messy and expensive

0|0
    0|0
    • Who wants that!? I was just wondering about your expectations in your marriage. Are they realistic or delusional. Because the vast majority of people hardly even recognize divorce as an option.

• never. I'm all about commitment:)

0|0
    0|0
    • Or course, as many others of us. But don't forget that the other party has a mind of his own! You may experience good marriage life while he's suffering and and all...

That's what makes it so complicated - unlike every other aspect of your life, here half of the thing depends solely on your partner.

• What if I happen to know that my man is all bout commitment as well?;) bet that makes it MUCH less complicated:) marriage is really overthought. All you both need is love, commitment and sacrifice and everything else falls into place. Something so wonderful shouldn't be so worrysome yall:) the issue is putting all those simple things into action. Without even one, marriage won't work.

• Who knows, I've failed at everything else

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• Who would answer honestly "yeah, I think I'll probably cheat on any wife I have and get divorced"...every single person who gets divorced thinks it was forever when they walked down the aisle.

I think you have the right idea, though.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I had married one of my exes, I'd possibly be divorced by now.

With the woman I'm married to since 1971 I never even thought about divorcing and certainly do not want to do it any day,

0|1
    0|0
  • No, I also don't think we'd ever split up. We hang together so well, even now that I'm gone in China teaching English for months at a time and we see each other only on Skype.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't divorce at all. After all, there's no such thing in my country

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes