Do you think you would ever divorce?

I remembered this radio talk show where this philosopher got on air and started talking about people being over-optimistic about their future. He brought as an example that there was a study done in the States in which people - single people of course - were asked if they think they would ever divorce. Although the divorce rate in the States is just about 50%, in the polls almost 90% of people said they would never divorce. Of course the statistics are going to dictate their future better than they can predict but the point is that people on general tend to be overly-optimistic about their future. That was the point the philosopher brought this study up for.

And I was just wondering - since this is a pretty large and diverse community and you are a sort of statistical sample - do you believe you would ever go through a divorce?

On the personal note here I believe it's a distinct possibility with todays nature of relationships between people. I heard many stories about all kinds of divorce people had to face. One time some divorced man brought this issue up in a small talk we had with another guy and he said that next time he'd be extremely cautious about the woman he brings home to live with. After that conversation I decided that I won't be lightheaded in that decision. I'm not just going to jump into the arms of the first woman who will show me affection, you need to really make sure it's a person you'd be willing to live the next several decades with. I believe it's better to make the right decision even if it takes more time.

• Never.
  • Divorce is a distinct possibility.
  • I think I would. (Not very optimistic).
    Vote C
  • I don't know.
    Vote D

84

Most Helpful Girl

• The only way I would divorce is if he was beating me or something like that. An extreme situation. If I marry someone, I am going to be in love with them and I'm going to work through our problems and not give up.

Marriage is supposed to be "till death do us part", not "until I find someone richer and hotter".

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Wow I really like your answer. I have the same view myself. If I may only add from the guys' perspective that marriage is supposed to be "till death do us part", not "until we reach 40 and I'll set out to find a 21 years old hottei".

• I'm glad some people still think that way. :)