What do you consider "taking a break" with your significant other to be?

It seems everyone sees it differently, some say they're still together but not together, other say you're split therefore activities not normally occurred within a together relationship is fine. Bottom line, what's your definitiom when you've been on break with your sig.other? And what do you feel is okay and not okay to do?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• To me a break is the first stage of a break-up. I've only seen a few couples and I mean very few who survive even a few months after a "break" even less who go a few years after. I've only known of one couple who's break helped them but that's because they both slept with other people and got the "cheating" aspect out of the way (or so they say). Usually a break will put more strain on a relationship. This is why most therapist use a "break" method only as a last resort. In almost all occasions one of the two parties will sleep with some one else when it was agreed only that they were still together just spending less time with each other. I say if your willing to take a break and risk everything for a .9% chance of working out your issues might as well end it altogether. Breaks are proven not to be an effective form of "relationship healing" why risk it if you really care for one another. If your the party asking for the break you obviously fell less attracted to your S.O. and you want something new.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• When you're on a break both partners should be able to act and do, and not act and do, the same things they did, or did not do, when they were still in the relationship as far as other guys are concerned. A break is "suppose" to be a time of seeing how it is not being together all the time, or most of the time. Not a time to be hanging out with the opposite sex to see how it goes. If either of you start hanging out with the opposite sex, you might as well consider the break and relationship over. End of it! Usually, a couple takes a break ... well usually it's one of the partners that suggests it because they're too chicken to say they want out. So they think by suggesting being apart for awhile the other partner will get the hint which will soften the blow of being dumped later. It doesn't always work that way but it does most often. Other than that, both parties would make an agreement of some type as to what they can and can not do while on their break. If it includes in their agreement that they can pursue the opposite sex, then unless they both have terrible luck and are both are missing each other and realize what great partners they had, the relationship probably will never be quite the same, plus it won't be long before the relationship will end for good. That is, unless they took the break for some very unique reasons. So that's my take on breaks. If your boyfriend suggest one, you need to look closely at your relationship to see who was most responsible for the problems that caused the idea of taking a break and the chances of those being corrected during the break. That will give you some idea of whether or not the break will bring you both back together. Good luck!

0|0
    0|0
  • i consider it being together apart for a little bit

0|0
    0|0
  • It would be a precursor to a breakup.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Generally today it seems breaks are used to ease the other party in to the fact that they want to break up but are too scared to full on say it...

0|0
    0|0
  • not talking but also not f***ing other people

0|0
    0|0
  • I wuld say that we are about to break up.

0|0
    0|0
  • when you just don't talk but still are a couple, you can't be with other people

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes