What shall I do, my hubby is emotionally abusive?

I've been with my hubby for 28yrs, married for 14 years and we always have had a pretty good relationship until he and his friend were found out to be using cocaine. Their bosses and their wives found out. It was when his friend had went on binge weekend gambling, driving back he had a bad collision and the other vehicle suffered fatalities. He went to prison for 3yrs.They both suffered in their careers and marriages. So much so he divorced. My hubby and I are still together. In recent years my husband has tried putting his career back on track, but his friend has moved out of the state. It's been a long process for my husband and our relationship has suffered. My hubby stopped the drugs and heavy drinking but, still has a gambling desire. He also wants to retire and move out of state to his home he owns ( he's 51 years old), I'm 50 and disabled and unemployed. We have a daughter(age 21) going to college. I have a son, his stepson, age 27, that has two daughters age 6, and 1. I will be away from them if we move. I'll miss them. I own the home we live in here. He owns the home his mother lives in which is out of state. Those aren't the only issues, he is emotionally abusive to me. What to do? Or What shall I do?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• This marriage won't survive without marriage counselling (I assume he's in recovery? Just because he's not using anymore doesn't mean he's in recovery - he needs to have some formal support too). If you're both serious about things, you'll go get some counselling.

It could still end in divorce if you can't work it out, but at least with counselling, you'll discover where you both are in the relationship, and if you both want it to work bad enough to make that happen or not.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• I am 6 months out of a divorce with an emotionally abusive woman. At the end she became physically abusive as well. WE were married 8 years together 12. All I can tell you is get some counseling right now. I am a different and much healthier person now even though I am still healing and recovering. I didn't even realize the things I had done to emotionally defend myself. Again, get help now but it sounds like you need to get out.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• I think he shouldn't try to be emotionally abusive, he has no right to, get counceling and try to work thinds out. If nothing changes you should just try to move on and get somebody who does deserve you

0|0
    0|0
  • just try to get councelling or if it is too overbearing just divorce him

0|0
    0|0
  • i would divorce him

0|0
    0|0
  • do you love him? Why not divorce?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes