Have you ever had a relationship that has ended because you or your signficant other has had depression?

If so, what happened before/during/after the break up?

Long story short, my ex boyfriend said he feels he can't make anyone happy when he isn't happy himself. He hinted at a break up, so I decided to end it even though I didn't want to, but I thought it would be best for his healing. We have kept in light contact since, and I'm trying to be supportive to him as friend for the time being. I am just wondering if I am doing the best thing for his healing? And if so, what the chances of us getting back together are...

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I will try my best to help you with your questions as well! :)

53

Most Helpful Girl

• I was just dumped for not being able to fix a moderate anxiety disorder fast enough ... It is really tough and really disheartening, but it's the hard truth.

I think people who struggle with anxiety and depression know that, inevitably, their partner is going to leave them if they can't function like an average person. It's hard to meet the needs of a romantic partner when you are having a hard time meeting your own needs. Ideally, that person could help you get better, but in reality, most people don't have the patience when there are so many better options out there.

He will have to heal himself, whether you're together or not. That's really all it boils down to. Generally, it's something you have to learn to live with and can't "cure"... which makes it harder.

• Yeah, I understand that completely. I am a psychology major so I have patience and knowledge to help him, but I understand that I can't be his therapist and his girlfriend at the same time. I am just worried that I made things worse by breaking up with him, because I know he is really sad right now.

• He'll have to learn that he has to communicate clearly. He can't expect you to be a mind reader. It sounds like staying in touch can help the two of you sort through this. Good luck. :)

• Thanks, I think he was afraid to hurt me because he already broke up with me once before because he was stressed. He mainly can't handle the 'pressure' of a relationship right now. I hope we stay in touch, I haven't heard from him in a day and I'm waiting for him to reach out to me because I reached out to him last. It feels like I'm playing games and I hate it, I'm not sure if it is the right thing to do since he is ill. Thoughts?