If you're on a strict diet how often can you safely have a cheat day without it sabotaging your weight loss?

assuming this day wouldn't exceed more than 2000 calories once a week? once a fortnight? once a month?

46

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on what sort of strict diet you're on. The most successful weight loss I've seen (a permanent one, or at least 3 years and counting) has come from lifestyle changes. This person is super strict about eating healthy things five days a week, with cheat days on Wednesdays and Saturdays. It's about consistency on those other days, though. If you regulate your body to expect too few calories per day, then it will slow your metabolism and any cheat days at all can mess you up.

• But this what I find so confusing, people say weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out, so if I have one cheat day per week, and that helps me stay focused and have an overall low calorie count, why would that ruin my weightloss even if my body is in so called "starvationmode" it can't store calories if I'm putting out more than I'm taking right? And then others say if you don't have a cheat day you will plateau and stop losing weight which is the exact opposite the first the theor

• Your body is like a really hi-tech machine. It To keep it running properly, you need to take in a certain number of calories per day. This keeps all of your systems going at an ideal level, including your metabolism. If you're looking for just general weight loss (as opposed to some sort of performance goal), the best thing to do is to stabilize your diet around 1500-1800 calories per day. If you do that, and you have one day that's 2000 calories, it's not such a big deal.