If you're on a strict diet how often can you safely have a cheat day without it sabotaging your weight loss?

assuming this day wouldn't exceed more than 2000 calories once a week? once a fortnight? once a month?

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on what sort of strict diet you're on. The most successful weight loss I've seen (a permanent one, or at least 3 years and counting) has come from lifestyle changes. This person is super strict about eating healthy things five days a week, with cheat days on Wednesdays and Saturdays. It's about consistency on those other days, though. If you regulate your body to expect too few calories per day, then it will slow your metabolism and any cheat days at all can mess you up.

1|0
    0|0
    • But this what I find so confusing, people say weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out, so if I have one cheat day per week, and that helps me stay focused and have an overall low calorie count, why would that ruin my weightloss even if my body is in so called "starvationmode" it can't store calories if I'm putting out more than I'm taking right? And then others say if you don't have a cheat day you will plateau and stop losing weight which is the exact opposite the first the theor

• Your body is like a really hi-tech machine. It To keep it running properly, you need to take in a certain number of calories per day. This keeps all of your systems going at an ideal level, including your metabolism. If you're looking for just general weight loss (as opposed to some sort of performance goal), the best thing to do is to stabilize your diet around 1500-1800 calories per day. If you do that, and you have one day that's 2000 calories, it's not such a big deal.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• I guess I can't comment twice. I was going to say, BUT, if you drop down into starvation mode, usually below 800 calories/day for women, your body thinks that you no longer have a source of food. In order to preserve basic things like brain function and heart beat, all of which take energy (and calories are actually just a measure of energy), your body will begin to store everything it can as fat.

1|0
    0|0
    • Ok I see what you're saying, that makes sense, I guess I just struggle with impatience, in some ways it's harder for me to stick to a moderate 1200-1500 calorie diet than it is to go into extreme starvation mode.

• Most successful plans, such as the Weight Watchers one, incorporate an 'off' day at least once in two weeks, depending on how much weight you've lost in the previous week.

Most people can't stick to their diet without a break, so having a planned off day is less likely to result in a binge. But it doesn't mean you eat a quart of ice cream that day. As you say, you still are a little careful about your total calories.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends how big your caloric deficit is the rest of the time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyday as long as you dnt surpass your calorie intake needed

0|0
    0|0
  • Never. Studies show cheat days always sabotage the diet.

0|0
    0|1

What Girls Said 4

• Usually once a week with portion control. If you want a real diet and workout plan message me

0|1
    0|0
  • by making it a cheat DAY and not a cheat week... month, etc... lol If you're diet and exercise was spot on 6 days a week then you would be in good shape. I rarely have cheap days anymore, after a while you begin to prefer healthy foods and junk doesn't even seem like real food anymore, but cheat days help when you're starting out on your health journey.

0|1
    0|0
  • i think you can cheat on one day

0|0
    0|0
  • i dontthink you can have cheat day, but if you work out more then you should do a little bit more and then eat something good

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes