What's the point of college then?

I was just texting with my friend who goes to college with me and I told her how I'm moving to ny because it's best for my career. I then told her that she should move to cali because that'd be best for her career.

Her response was that she didn't want to be alone and then added that she is lazy and has no ambition, so she won't go.

I didn't want to ask her (it'd be bitchy) but why is she in college and paying $40,000 a year if she's not gonna do anything with it?

do more people go to college because they feel obligated to or because they are actually passionate and want to achieve goals?

* her major is animation, and she LOVES all things animation so I'm even more confused

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Because people don't know any better. It's an expensive 13th grade for people. Look at how many people flunk out and are stuck in debt for the rest of their lives. I don't promote going to college unless the major is something smart. Teachers and lawyers for example are overpopulated right now and not a smart choice. Medical I am iffy about but it is a good cause so I think it's good. Other majors vary.

Thing is, very few majors actually give people jobs these days. So many jobs have huge waiting lines of people begging for work. Many jobs are also deliberately taking lower qualified people with GEDs, training them on the spot, and paying less so they don't have to pay someone with a high end degree. College is going way downhill now. With so many people catching on to how much of a scam college is, don't be surprised if it only gets worse.

Also, anyone who goes to college just to "learn" doesn't have enough common sense to use their tax dollars and go to the library. You can learn so much more reading a book and writing to the author of that book than any of these "professors" could teach you nowadays. College teaches you how to mindlessly regurgitate information thrown at you.

0|1
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• some times persueing your dream can be well once you realize everything you need to do to realize you can become over whelmed & the drive that pushes you can die out. maybe she realized that passion alone wasn't enough to fuel her ambition

0|1
    0|0
  • How about she's talking sh*t because she is young and feels no need for consistency? Unless there is a significant benefit to understanding her, I wouldn't give it a moment's thought.

0|0
    0|1
  • Some reasons people go to college:

1. To learn

2. To get a good job

3. It is expected of them

4. They don't have any other plans

5. They like the social scene (and may be sad that high school ended)

6. They want to play sports at the college level

Some young people are very goal oriented, others are not (at least at that point in their lives). Sometimes, people just get in a funk over "the future" and all that implies. If she is artistic then maybe she is having an issue with her creativity (which no one can control). And then, there could always be a romance which is affecting her mood. If she wants to talk about it, then lend a sympathetic ear...

0|1
    0|0
  • well just because she won't go to cali doesn't mean college is a waste. But a lot of people see college as the natural next step after high school. Maybe it was the expectation of her parents to go. Perhaps she went because she wanted the experience of college. Maybe she just wanted to further her education regardless of any future career ambitions...

for me I know that there didn't seem to be any other logical option after high school than to go to college. A lot of people don't realize until later that college isn't necessarily useful for everyone

0|1
    0|0
  • we should be thankful she's not going to be a pilot or a surgeon

0|1
    0|0
  • erm.. to learn? as it was since universities were invented?

that said, motivations for all things in the human condition are subjective.

0|0
    0|0
  • She's probably going for the party atmosphere.

0|0
    0|0
  • "I didn't want to ask her (it'd be bitchy) but why is she in college and paying $40,000 a year if she's not gonna do anything with it?"

Um, because she's going to do something with it in her hometown.

0|0
    1|0
  • I'm going for a myriad of reasons, but I'm also not going to 40,000 university. my classes are literally a few hundred dollars and I get to park on campus for free. gotta love community college, eh?

0|1
    0|0
  • Sounds like she isn't willing to relocate for a career. She can find an animation job I'm sure if she's good where she resides, but it may not be the BEST for her. But anybody who admits that they are lazy and have no ambition aren't the kind of people that succeed.

I'm guessing she isn't paying the $40,000 out of her own pocket and her parents pay for a lot of it? I think most people go to post-secondary because it's necessary for getting any kind of good paying job unless you are either able to start your own business or have good connections

0|0
    0|0
  • I think most people go to college for a few reasons.

1. Because they have been raised that going to college is just something you are expected to do.

2. To feel superior to people that haven't gone to college.

3. They think that it will entitle them to a great high paying job, with no or little work on their part.

4. Because the job market sucks so much that even crappy jobs can require a college degree.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• College is whatever you make of it.

At the end of the day it's just a service provider giving you a piece of paper stating you at least met the 60% requirement of staying in and graduating from the program.

0|1
    0|0
    • Thats not true. College can get you internships, job offers, networking contacts, and skills needed to achieve goals

• They're providing a service to you by providing those things. IT's what you make of it. If you don't seek those things yourself you won't get them.

• (I say this as a college student)

• well because her parents mgiht make her study.

0|0
    0|0
  • it can help you if you go to a good college

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes