Relocating to another location with boyfriend, no encourages..

I will be a college graduate in 2 weeks. I plan on moving out and sharing an apartment with my boyfriend of two and a half years. My father and grandmother are fine with that, they're just not fine with how I will be living three hours away. I currently live in a small town, and I will not be able to land a job of my degree choice in such a small area. Thus, resulting in me moving away. However, I would still be able to come back to visit all the time since it's literally just one straight shot between the locations unlike having to drive a crazy route. I feel almost guilty, but I know it's time since I'm about to turn 22. It's time for me to experience being on my own, and my own person, right? Well, I feel its time. However, like I said, my parents and grandmother aren't accepting it and think I'm going to instantly fail. I will be landing a job at first as a hotel clerk just as a temporary job for income while I'm placing my resumes and contacting larger companies to get my degree of choice job. I've searched everywhere, and made very deep in-depth decisions.

How can I get my grandma and dad to support me on this? They keep fussing at me, making me cry literally all day every day since it was brought up and they talk about how I'm just going to leave, and fail. They keep telling me I have no clue how hard its going to be, because I've never been on my own. However, I have an idea. I know it's going to be extremely hard, and unusual but I think it will be good because I will be faced with decisions and I'll make my own choice rather than having to rely on my grandma or dad for decisions or assistance.

What should I do for acceptance with my family without them thinking I'm turning my back on them and never seeing them again like they think? Which is clearly not the case..

22

Most Helpful Guy

• You can either take on their negativity or say something like the following:

"Dad, Grandma - I know you both love me and support me and don't want to see me fail. However, I'm an adult now, and need to start making my own decisions. I have to make my own successes and failures...Hopefully the values and sense you two have given me my whole life will help me succeed. I'll always love you, and still want you both in my life - but I have and want to do this."

• Thanks for the response :)