Why won't he let go of the past??

My now ex-boyfriend broke up with me. We argued because he can't let go of the past. Whenever we argue he brings up things from months ago even as far as 2 years back. In my opinion, that's starts arguments unnecessarily. I don't bring up the past because you can't change the past so why being it up, what will it change? I haven't spoken to him in a few days, any advice...

43

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you, re-hashing the past unnecessarily isn't healthy or effective. Sometimes people do that because they feel like the issue was never resolved and never got an answer or closure about it. But if you think that you've talked through it a million times before, then he probably feels a fake sense of safety or confidence by bringing you down and holding things over your head. That's just bad relationship behavior, but you can't fix it for him - he needs to figure out why he wants to be so resentful and work that out on his own. Maybe some time apart would be good for you, it doesn't mean that the relationship is a lost cause but it could help to give you both some perspective.

• Yeah he says he wasn't satisfied with my response but if he asks again, it'll be the same thing. I was telling the truth, I'm not going to make something up just to settle a dispute. I haven't cheated or anything just to let you know, it's just that I hate to keep talking about that stuff ya know. He has done some shifty sh!t in the past but I don't continue to bring it up. When I decided to stay with him, I left the past in the past. If I keep bringing it up, I'm sure he would get tired as week