Would you ever give an ex a second chance?

If you had a great relationship with somebody, one you were truly happy in, but at some point it broke off or ended for whatever reason, would you ever date that person again? Would you even give them a chance? I ask because my ex and I had a very, very good relationship, one we were both happy in for a good two years. Unfortunately, I had some depression issues at the time that influenced me to break up with her more than a year ago. Since then I've worked through those issues, but I've also realized what a mistake it was letting her go.I've talked to her about how I feel before but she says she's determined to move because she had to change her entire way of thinking after we broke up. Whatever that means. All I want is a chance to show her I can make her happy, that I can provide for her, that I always have and always will. I'm not interested in trying to bring a dead relationship back to life or trying to imitate it. What I want is a new relationship, a clean slate, a chance to start fresh with somebody I'm close to and care for deeply. Is that too much to ask for?

73

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in the same situation but on the other end of it. I had an amazing relationship with my current boyfriend for six months and he broke up with me for the second time yesterday. He said he was extremely depressed due to his past (family abandonment issues and a cheating ex-wife). This was the second time he broke down. Crying hysterically and telling me he needs help. He said he still wants to be in my life as my friend and still do the same things but no physical contact. I don't know what to do. I want so badly to be in this life but he needs to get help.

If you went and got help I give you so much credit. So many people never seek help and stay depressed and miserable and try to hide it from loved ones. You seem like an amazing person and she would be lucky to have you in her life. Don't give up on her. Try to be friends first. Go on day trips, go on a hike, just talk etc. Don't pressure her into a relationship. Actions speak louder than words so show her how serious you are about being in her life and in time she will come around. Like you said, it will be a new relationship and it will be even better :)

• I did get help for my depression but the therapy and meds didn't do so much for me as time, reflection and acceptance did. We're still friends, go to the same college, share the same friend group, but its difficult for me because I still love her and think of her romantically. Unfortunately she doesn't feel the same. But I want to believe we could be together again. We originally started dating because she asked me out and she's said she wished I had asked her instead. I want to go for it but...