Is it normal to miss your ex after seeing them for the first time in a while?

I went to a cook out last week and my ex was there (it was hosted by a mutual friend). I looked my best and everything--even talked to a hot guy while I was there (which my friend said my ex seemed bothered by since he was talking to her which he never talks to that much) . I was surprised when my ex greeted me with a hug since he hasn't been speaking to me in months. I didn't speak to him much except when there was a conversation between several of us. I wanted to talk to him personally but I figured if he doesn't approach me to talk I won't talk to him. I gave him a small hug goodbye (I hugged everyone else goodbye) and that was the end of that. I didn't expect him to reach out and start to text me again afterward and he hasn't. However, I took his hug as a sign that he wasn't annoyed by me anymore like he was and that we were pretty much cool again. So I unblocked him on Facebook.

That being said, after to cook out, I got to missing him and wanting him back again. (He broke up with me last year but a month afterward I broke NC and we texted until I annoyed him too much and he stopped talking to me for 4 months). I missed him a little when I saw him there too and wished/wondered what it would be like for us to have been together still.

Getting to the point: is it normal to have those kinds of feelings after seeing your ex again? I still missed him deep down but I was doing well and looking forward to dating new people.But I feel like I may have had a mini set back. Today I'm better than I was the past few days following the get together though.

Please only answer if you have sound advice. Thanks.

15

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah it's completely normal.

I broke up with my ex about two years ago. It was mutual because we both saw that it wasn't working out. After we broke up we didn't sea each other for about 13 months. We kept in touch via texting and stuff but we didn't sea each other. But then she needed my help with something and so we got to see each other and I found out that she now has a new boyfriend.

Well until that point I was doing great and also looking forward to dating didn't have much luck with that but still... But then again I started thinking about her again and wondering if all this was really for the best. I even started missing her company and the fun we had together. And then I realized that that was just it I missed the good times we had together and the fun we had and this was only because I didn't have anything to do and wasn't having a good time so that's why.

I mean I do miss her still and wish we could still have fun but I wouldn't have it back the same way. Maybe after we've both dated a little and learned how to deal with each other in a nice way.

• Great! This was really helpful! Thanks a bunch! :)

• My pleasure.

I just wish anything could be done about it. Because my getting over her is still hearing my current chances with women.