I am moving out. Looking for advice?

Hello! I am 20yrs old and I will be renting my first house in two weeks. I have lived in a dorm before but wasn't having to pay rent/utilities/buy groceries. I am really nervous about taking on all of the responsibilities. I know that it's a step that everyone has to take but I'm just wondering if anyone has advice?

I am living in a somewhat expensive college town but I found housing that is relatively cheap for that area ($600 a month for half of a two bedroom house). I guess I'm just afraid that I won't be able to afford it and I am looking for encouragement.
I do have about $4000 saved up to move. And it's not a very far move, only like an hour from my parents house.

06

Most Helpful Guy

• Well you proooobably should have made sure you could afford the place before you rented it...just throwing it out there. I'm assuming you have a job. If not, you're gonna want one of those. For the first few months, try and spend as little money as possible and see how much spare money you end up with. That should give you an idea of what you can and cannot afford. Also you could try making one of those budget things and schedule your spending, but they never work for me. Too much unexpected stuff happens.

• Worst case scenario, you can always sublet the house and move in with a boyfriend...that's what my friend did haha. There's always a solution so don't worry about becoming homeless or anything.