Is your diploma or education really expensive? seems like everything in Canada is, especially Ontario?

What will/did yours cost in the end? have you been able to find a job related to it or did you just give up and try something else? does anybody have any tips on changing paths? other than just go and do it. I went to college for a recreation and leisure services diploma and I am finding nothing I actually like, and working part time in the industry has turned me right off for the most part. I think I now want to be a pilot. but my mother is against it because of the price. I don't really care about the price, I will work to pay for it and that is fine because it is expensive and will take some time , but it's not like I have anyone expecting anything from me in terms of getting my life together. other than my parents and everyone else who has had a lifelong plan. its not like I have a girlfriend or a date wondering when I will get it together. I guess for me what I want is to have a job that I enjoy because that is the main focus of life it seems. and I have a mother who seems to not back me up when I talk about changing paths. all she wants me to do is work and it's all she talks about. get a job so you can put money in the bank. I don't actually expect to have a normal life because I have never been socially normal compared to everyone else my age, and I have changed a lot of my desires and visions to just making sure that I end up fairly happy.

22

Most Helpful Girl

• Sorry to hear you're struggling with career/education issues- things are super tough in the Canadian job market, parts of Ontario in particular. I know Quebec is the cheapest province and subsidizes the most and Ontario is one of the highest, but I don't know actual rates. All provinces do have different regulations so watch out for that when getting certifications. Also, even if it were cheaper to go out of province for a program, you'd have to pay out of province fees, so it'd probably end up being the same...

Either way, you're not alone- I did a 4 year undergrad at an Ontario university, graduated at the top of my class and spent a year and a bit working in a call centre before I went back to get a graduate degree in PR. I'd never planned on going into that field, but it seemed interesting enough and I sure didn't want to work in a call centre for the rest of my life so back I went. I now have a BA and a graduate degree all to the tune of about $35,000 after you include all expenses (books, parking etc.) and subtract bursaries and scholarships.

I've been unemployed for almost a year, 7 months of that has been since I graduated and looking for work became my full time job. It's been frustrating as hell, and I finally accepted a job out of my field at (where else?) a call centre, thinking FML, but what else could I do? I kept applying to other jobs I wanted and now, at long last, I'm getting some call backs. It's stressing me out of course because I have a regular job I can't just leave for interviews, but I can't turn down a shot at jobs I actually want...Considering the past 2 years or so though, it's a good problem to have.

My only advice is if you want to get more education or change fields, then do it. And if you're struggling to find work, just keep trying. It's taken me this long to finally get somewhere and I've pretty much dedicated my life to finding a job (in July alone I applied to 15 jobs in my field, 45 outside of it) the past 6 months...Good luck!

• do you mind telling me your age? I just like to see where people are at compared to myself