How do you break the touch barrier with a girl?

I'm great with socializing and talking to girls I'm interested but I'm always hesitant to break the touch barrier. How serious is it when a guy does that? Like say you and a new guy you recently met were on a date, hanging out, or spending any time together alone and he started getting really interested in you. Then he tried to hold your hand or something could that scare you away if you didn't want to play along? Or would it be just fine as long as he accepted your response to it?

0|2

Most Helpful Girl

• You should start first by touching her shoulder or arm during conversation, like you're trying to make a point. After doing that a few times, you can grab her hand etc. Just don't touch her thighs unless you've been flirting a lot that day and you're having an intimate moment..

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• It's fine as long as you don't maul the poor thing. :) Don't think so much about it bro. Just grab her hand and if she pulls away, unless she is a prissy uptight girl, she will get over it. If hand holding scares her, well, she shouldn't be on a date with ya anyways.

0|0
    0|0
  • i say touch her hand as long as she doesn't pull away and then progress from there. maybe even start with just touching her arm or hip to move her somewhere and slide your hand into hers afterward. girls like knowing that guys want them and touch is the best way to show that!. its more of a flattery thing then anything else and as long as she is comofrtable with it then there's no harm in seeing where your boundaries are. good luck!

0|1
    0|0
  • If I'm into the guy, I want him to touch me. If we were on a first date, I wouldn't want him draping an arm around me and hanging on me all night. But, definitely a touch to the arm or having a reason to put your arm on her back...all that's good. And if there's a good moment, holding hands is fine too. I think it all depends on how well you know them beforehand.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am very instinctual about touching. I love some playful wrestling and hugging and playing with my friends, male or female. It doesn't mean I am or am not interested in them romantically. Who and when I touch depends on how I feel and what kind of 'vibe' I get from them. I usually won't touch people who are overweight, too hairy, smelly, sweaty, or anything that makes me feel unclean or uncomfortable. NOTE: This only goes for touching, it doesn't have anything to do with how I feel about them personally.

0|0
    0|0
  • tap her arm and say "tag you're it"

0|2
    0|0
  • Maybe playful graze their arm or touch her hair and say its soft and smells good

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• I usually break it very early, like if I meet a girl for a date I'd initially hug her and say hello... Pretty basic, but it makes anything after that a lot less 'out of the blue'. Again dating in Ireland/Britain is different to what I've seen of American dating, for one thing, we don't really do exclusive and non exclusive relationships.

0|0
    0|0
  • it depends on the girl , some are really cool with this , I mean some girls are OK with say hugging a guy there just friends with and girls like this would likely be much easier to touch than others . so it sort of depends how open they are to things but I get what your saying and I'm often not comfortable trying to touch a girl either

0|0
    0|0
  • Try a shoulder, first. see if casual contact like that gets a good response.

1|1
    0|0
  • Oh god, it's simple; Shake her hand: touch barrier BROKEN!

0|0
    0|0
  • Honk her boobies

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes