How do I tell my strict Christian family I am moving in with my boyfriend?

My family is very strict and conservative. Since they are Christian, they don't believe in co-habitation before marriage. My boyfriend and I are planning on moving in together in September. We love each other very much and have been together for awhile. My parents want us to get married, but we don't have the money right now to get married. With two of us living together and working, we would have enough to live together and not live off of our parents. We both are responsible adults. My boyfriend has lived on his own before, and his parents are thrilled for us to move in together.

On the other hand, my parents don't think I can do anything for myself and treat me like a baby. Not to mention my dad and I don't have a good relationship. He is emotionally and verbally abusive and loses his temper easily. My mom is very clingy and still treats my 33 year old brother like a child. They have a weird relationship anyway, but that is beyond the point.

Overall, I am terrified to tell them and don't know how to go about telling them without getting screamed at or guilt tripped. The only thing they are paying for right now is my phone bill so even if they cut me off I wouldn't be losing anything. My parents are relentless. They think their way is the only way, and I can see my dad trying to lash out or nearly hit my boyfriend if he finds out we are living tgethwr and having premarital sex. I want to respect them as an adult, but at the same time, this is my life. I am an adult and should be treated like one.

23

Most Helpful Guy

• If you think it will create unsolvable problems then slowly move out bit by bit untill you're practically done and then tell them. Avoidance might be cowardly sometimes but it does the job.

Ultimately it comes down to the big question:

Are your parents still supporting and guiding you, or have they done all they can and have become a burden which is holding you back?

Propose that to them and see their answer. I don't think that any realistically thinking parent in this day and age maintains the illusion that their children are having long term, non-marital relationships without sexual intimacy, at least not without some level of doubt.

However you decide to raise the topic, just make sure you do it face-to-face, but have a backup plan if it isn't received well

• Thank you. My mom still helps me on occasion but honestly they hold me back. Like I said I pay for everything myself except maybe food on occasion and my phone bill. Butwe make more then enough to live on our own. My dad does nothing for me but causes pain and stress. They are just those type of radical Christians if you know what I mean. I don't have a backup plan really. Probably just not talk to them anymore. Lol