Friend cheats on his girlfriend...Do you do anything?

Now, I have to preface that I know that all situations are different and it's a case by case approach.

I.e. in the past, my best friend has cheated on his girlfriend, but it was like a 4-month relationship, he felt guilty (still does, 5 years later), they separated fairly soon after, etc etc. And I was okay with it at the time.

But there's this current situation that has come to light. It has come to my attention that another friend of mine (26), one whom is a great friend to me - honest, trustworthy, etc - has cheated on his girlfriend (21) of 1.5 years, at least once. I know he has definitely been in the situation before with this same girlfriend as he's talked about almost cheating and I've been there when he's almost hired call girls in his gf's extended absence.

We've talked about it casually before and he believes cheating is good as it keeps the relationship fresh, sexually. He is definitely the type who enjoys sex with as many women as possible, regardless of how good the sex is (in fact, he thinks the first time is always the best in which I greatly disagree).

She loves him very much (even took the time to learn his native language), but I'm not sure if she knows of his ways. And to be completely honest, it wouldn't surprise me that she DOES know and just overlooks it. Though I don't think she knows because he's told me before to not talk about it (the call girls and other times he's talked about almost cheating).

Now, I don't want to rat him out. But part of me thinks it's just completely wrong how he thinks this is OK. Especially given how committed and loving she is to him. Part of me wants to somehow relay this info to her or one of her friends I know, anonymously. Part of me wants to just talk to him about it, man to man, adult to adult. Part of me just figures ignore it - not my business, right. But I just don't know.

Any thoughts or input?

91

Most Helpful Girl

• That's a tough one. I can tell you a little story of what happened to my friend. My best friend was in a relationship with this guy for almost 2 years, living together. I had been hearing stuff about him and she was feeling a little uncomfortable with some of his relationships with girl friends, but he reassured her nothing was going on and she was happy with that. One night me and a group of mutual friends were out at a bar and my cousin came over to me telling me about how she had seen him dancing very close and personal with this other girl he worked with. It just so happened I was sitting with one of his best friends. Right there he rolled his eyes and told me that wasn't all he had been doing with this girl and told me the whole story. Later I talked to my friend with a good sources information but left it anonymous. I told her anything she needed I would be there for her and support any decision. Later she talked to her boyfriend, he can clean about that and more, she called me for emotional support. I just helped her stay calm and they worked things out and are now married with two kids. Can't say it will work that way for everyone, but it is one situation similar. I hope things work out for you, that really is a difficult situation.