How do you know when to break up with someone?

When the bad times outweigh the good? When you feel it in your gut?

I love my boyfriend dearly, but we've been fighting more than usual and have had some big bumps in our relationship. I don't want to be without him, but I can't go on fighting anymore either. It feels like we're stuck in a rut but I don't know if I should give up or not : /

Personal stories would really be appreciated!
Updates:
Thank you guys for the answers...I really appreciate it!

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Sounds like you are not ready to have a life without him yet. Don't break up with him just yet. There are ups and downs in all relationships. The fighting might go away. Give yourself some more time, see how you feel in a month or so. If possible, go on a holiday without him where you have no contact. Then you will really know how you feel about the relationship.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• Is there any real particular reason for this "fighting"?Is there something that can't or won't be fixed because one or the other refuses,or are you just generally argumentative and hostile toward each other?

Bad reactions will normally get more bad reactions in return.You'll get a reflection of what you dish out.Maybe one or the other is over-reacting,or even both of you.That's fixable if you both want to have some social skill,and live peacefully.

0|0
    0|0
  • When the spark has died and you've tried to bring it back but you can't. Don't break up when the spark is gone, break up when you've tried bringing the spark back and realize you can't.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its mostly just a gut feel. You start to notice changes in the "love" between you and your partner. When the time comes you will know.

0|0
    0|0
  • when it seems being with that person is more hassle than joy.

0|0
    0|0
    • No, I do not accept YOUR answer because you have no power of knowledge over me nami.

• you just know , I went through this recently , I just sort of realized it wasn't going to work out but I still really liked her . we weren't officially dating so not like we officially broke up either but you sort of know when its time to move on to another girl and when things aren't going to ever work out . it made me really sad to think that I'm likely going to lose her and not have her in life much longer . its tough to go through stuff like this when we deep down like the person a lot

0|0
    0|0
    • what was it about her/ the rel that wasn't working?

• a lot of things , we weren't seeing much of each other even though she lives in the same down just down the road , she had a problem with alcohol oddly enough , when I first meet her I wouldn't of guessed that but she really didn't handle drinking well if she had more than a couple drinks when at clubs . I was also attracted to one of her girlfriend friends so that didn't help either but never did anything with her , we didn't communicate could barely get a hold of her on fb or through texts

What Girls Said 2

• When the pain of holding on becomes more than that of letting go.I recently had to let go of my boyfriend because he had stopped communicating,started acting shady...putting up pictures of exs,and just no longer enthusiastiac about the relationship.However,given all that I still kinda love him.

0|0
    0|0
  • It just really depends on whether or not you'd want to continue. I've seen a lot of couples that have been fighting for the longest of time, and they've been together for ages. Since you still like him, I would say that you should openly discuss about why you guys keep on fighting. If it reaches a point where you can't settle for an agreement on why, tell him that you need a break for a month or so. Let him know that during this time you really want to use it to rethink about if the relationship is worth it. Don't try to contact each other or anything. Give each other plenty of space. Sometimes all a relationship needs is space (time to miss each other).

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes