My boyfriend is now feeling more like a best friend, losing feelings...What is a good way of telling him?

So, I'm in a predicament:

I've been dating my new boyfriend for about 3 months and just now I realized that I love him as a friend and we could possibly be nothing more than friends & I feel like honestly he should get back together with his ex. I feel like from what he told me that he just didn't try hard enough to save their relationship. He still obviously has feelings for her and I feel like everyone makes mistakes and yea she messed up she cheated like 2 times, but I believe he still wants to try and make it work. He says like he really cares about me and he wants to be with me and I'm one of the only girls that likes him for him and I make him feel good, a way he never felt. We were talking about his ex today and he got like real defensive when I mentioned them getting back together he said "I'm not worried about her so why are you?"

We had some situations earlier in our relationship we we first started out because he was still talking to the ex I was referring to and was like he still wanted to be her friend and he cares about her as a friend. But when I would bring up the situation about him and his ex getting back together he got really upset. I asked him why he didn't give it another chance and I was like was it because she hurt you and he said I don't know maybe it is I just never thought about it so why are you. He said he doesn't get me first I wanted them to stop talking and now I'm bringing it up he got mad. And I told him why I did and he got quiet. I realized that I'd just rather be his friend and not his girlfriend anymore. He's a good boyfriend but he's just not over his ex and I just want to be by myself. What is a good way of telling hiM? I just only want to be his friend not his girlfriend anymore or am I just over thinking things? I don't know ..i really need some advice about this. I've never been in a relationship like this before.
Should I give it a few days before I make my decision or just go with it? I don't know what to do

02