I just called my girlfriend by my ex's name...What to do?

I was playing an online game with my friend and we were talking about stupid stuff. My girlfriend was laying out with her legs over me. I mentioned that I had to pee and he said then go! I said I can't dude, [Name of ex] is on me. I do not know where the hell that came from or why I even said that. I feel terrible. Now she wants me out and said that that did it for her. Her ex was a real piece of sh**. He cheated on her and called her by his ex's name and now she feels that I'm the same as he is. We've been together 8 months and I've never done any of that.

From a psychological standpoint, I only see 2 theories at why I would say that:

1: The friend I was talking to, I hadn't talked to him constantly like I have been since I was with my ex. The 3 of us were always talking about something every day. Then he stopped talking to me for a while and just now we started talking a lot again.

2. Me and him talked about my ex the previous night because I was having issues dealing with my ex because her name is on my car title and she is throwing a fit because she wants it off.

Whatever the case, I need help! I do not want my ex back. I do not still have feelings for her. Nor do I talk to her. I love the person I am with.
i did try explaining to her why I would have said that but I told her I still didn't know why I even would. now I have a week to get out.
thanks for all the advice everyone :)

173

Most Helpful Girl

• Here's a crazy idea.

Let her cool down...

...then show her this question.

Tell her you were so damn panicked about losing her over using your ex's name that you immediately sought the "How do I fix this" advice from everyone you knew- and everyone you didn't (us, here).

If you want to go a step further, ask her how would she answer this question, then be prepared to do EXACTLY what she says in her answer.