What is the difference between monogamy and a relationship?

Is there any difference? Not counting types of relatonships (ex: gay straight open closed) what is the difference in your eyes of asking for a relationship vs asking for monogamy?
  • Not much difference
    Vote A
  • Monogamy is more serious
    Vote B
  • A Relationship is more serious
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You can be in a monogamous relationship with a FWB, but have no emotional attachment. It just means you agree not to have sex with anyone else. Monogamy alone doesn't imply an emotional connection.

As well, it's possible to have a relationship, which denotes an emotional connection, but which is not monogamous. While I think we all agree that most people are going to ASSUME that a relationship implies monogamy (and it does), that doesn't mean that some people don't work out other arrangements that work for them. While that percentage isn't huge, it's probably a lot more common than most people would think.

This is why I so strongly encourage people to TALK about this stuff with their partner, and set expectations EARLY, so there is no confusion and no hurt feelings because of incorrect assumptions.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• Generally, most people understand, without a contractual agreement, that a 'relationship' means you 're not lining up dates online (or in real time) and are focusing on each other entirely.

You usually don't need to state that in so many words, but with some people..who are considered 'cool' or popular..yes, you may have to make it clear that you expect that from them!

Monogamy doesn't necessary imply a relationship, since you might just be casual sex buddies..but a relationship pretty much implies monogamy, even these days!

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 10

• asking for a relationship implies monogamy,unless you ask for an open one,or a hall pass. but,monogamy doesn't have to mean you're in a relationship,since it can be sexual monogamy.

2|0
    0|0
  • Monogamy doesn't have to involve you loving each either. It just means you won't have sex, kiss, flirt (or whatever you think cheating is) with other people. Relationships however have to involve some type of connection and affection, in my opinion.

0|1
    0|0
  • Let me clarify something. A relationship is defined as having some sort of association with a person. It can as follows: friendly, romantic, working, aquaintance

In the romantic subset: open relationship aka polyamorous or can sometimes be called polygamy but that deals with marriage. And then you have monogamous.

But I answered in the way I think you meant, so I chose B

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess just not sleeping with another person, for me in a relationship it would be a necessity but I guess if ou have an open relationship you would think differently.

0|0
    0|0
  • You can have a relationship without being monogamous. But you can't have love/genuine LIKE without monogamy! (if monogamy is as I understand, being exclusive and serious)

0|0
    0|0
  • There's not much of a difference and a relationship should imply monogamy but it doesn't always.

The majority of people expect monogamy when asking for relationships. It should be clearly stated when a relationship isn't monogamous (ie: open relationships or polygamy) and if it's not discussed that monogamy should be assumed.

Monogamy doesn't necessarily imply a relationship, though it usually does.

I would take a monogamous non-relationship much more seriously than a relationship that wasn't monogamous, so I guess monogamy is more serious.

0|0
    0|0
  • I expect my partner to be monogamous. So when we become an item I'd say they mean the same more me.

0|1
    0|0
  • There really isn't much difference between the two.

0|0
    0|0
  • Monogamy is a type of relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't see a difference

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes