To those who have moved out, how much did you save before you did?

And what were you making at your job or jobs?

Just want to see how people manage
i mean a place you have to pay rent.

81

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm assuming you're referring to moving out of the parents' house, or some other place where you didn't have to pay rent...

It really depends on where you live, and the cost of living in that town/city. I grew up in suburban Arizona, and I moved to my first apartment on $800, which included first month's rent ($500) and the security deposit ($300.) When I moved to San Diego a few years later, though, I had to pay $5,000 for a similar-sized apartment, just because the cost of living was so much higher and the area was much more in demand. Unfortunately, the amount I was making at the time didn't increase all that much from AZ to CA - I think I made $1 or $2 more in CA, despite the fact that my rent skyrocketed by 300%.

If you're looking to strike out on your own and find your own place, roommates that you know and trust can be your saving grace (especially since 2-bed and 3-bed apartments are much more common than 1-bedrooms and studios.) Shop around and don't allow yourself to feel so desperate that you HAVE to take a place you may not be able to afford - there will ALWAYS be another place for rent tomorrow.