To those who have moved out, how much did you save before you did?

And what were you making at your job or jobs?

Just want to see how people manage
Updates:
i mean a place you have to pay rent.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm assuming you're referring to moving out of the parents' house, or some other place where you didn't have to pay rent...

It really depends on where you live, and the cost of living in that town/city. I grew up in suburban Arizona, and I moved to my first apartment on $800, which included first month's rent ($500) and the security deposit ($300.) When I moved to San Diego a few years later, though, I had to pay $5,000 for a similar-sized apartment, just because the cost of living was so much higher and the area was much more in demand. Unfortunately, the amount I was making at the time didn't increase all that much from AZ to CA - I think I made $1 or $2 more in CA, despite the fact that my rent skyrocketed by 300%.

If you're looking to strike out on your own and find your own place, roommates that you know and trust can be your saving grace (especially since 2-bed and 3-bed apartments are much more common than 1-bedrooms and studios.) Shop around and don't allow yourself to feel so desperate that you HAVE to take a place you may not be able to afford - there will ALWAYS be another place for rent tomorrow.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 7

• Yes, I figured that... And that's the info I gave. I paid $500 per month for rent in suburban AZ, and $1,000 per month in San Diego near the beach. Like I said, it depends where you live and the type of job you have.

0|0
    0|0
  • No savings. Make $2000 a month and all of that goes to bills, the extras I can 'afford; (Im in a bit of debt) would be a few drinks on the weekend and a bit of weed. I regret moving out so young but now that I know freedom I can't go back haha. I got $10 000 from a car accident and none of it went to something fun it was all for bills and I ran out in less than a year.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on where you want to move too and your circumstances.

Different cities and towns have different costs for rent and utilities.

I'm in the UK so its different here but I saved up enough for a deposit and my first three months rent which was roughly £1200 which gave me enough of cushion to get started with. I'm working full time and I rent a two bedroom in the South Side of Glasgow (don't know if anyone is aware of Glasgow? I don't stay in the worst area but I'm not in the best either ^^) So I have a mid range rent costs, which works for me - I earn enough to clear my bills each month and still have a life.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had enough for 5-6 months expenses eg. rent, utilities, groceries.

0|0
    0|0
  • First months rent and moving expenses , plus I had accumulated everything I needed to furnish.

0|0
    0|0
  • When I moved out at 18, I had had a full time job for a few months and had saved everything I could. I was paying rent and part of the other bills to my parents at the time, so I wasn't able to save much. But when I moved, I moved to a place already established with a roommate, so I didn't have to come up with a deposit or furniture or anything, which is what helped me.

0|0
    0|0
  • i saved a lot of money, like at least 5 months worth of rent and other necesities

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• maybe 1000$ and in those 4 years I have about 500$ in my bank lol its wonderful being poor

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes