How do I handle the fact that my family is racist and doesn't approve of my relationship?

My family is full of racists, which is a bit confusing considering the fact that I'm biracial. My mother's side of the family doesn't like black people so they don't talk to me. My father's side of the family (Not including my father)(My father dislikes him for no reason at all. My mother is the only one that's likes my boyfriend but she's not in the picture so that doesn't really matter) doesn't like Hispanic people and my boyfriend is Hispanic.

I was never aware that my father's family was like this until the other day when I came home from being at my boyfriend's house and my grandmother and aunt were waiting at the door. My boyfriend was with me because he was walking me up to the door. Once we got there, my grandmother and aunt began insulting him and calling me stupid for being with him. Neither of us knew how to react. Because of this, my family is kicking me out. I'm going to have to stay at a friends house for a few months to save up some money so I can move in with my boyfriend. My boyfriend and I have decided that once I move out, my family will not be a part of our life. When we have children, my family will not be involved in anyway.

I am done with my family. I don't want to have anything to do with them. It's just hard to know that they don't accept me because of something simple like this. Is there anyway I could get them to change? Or should I just consider them to be a lost cause and move on with my life?

12

Most Helpful Guy

• They insulted him to his face? In front of you? My parents had problems with the race of one woman I dated but it wouldn't have occurred to them to say anything about it to me. The idea of insulting her and me would have horrified them!

Of course you can't change them but the course you have planned with certainly shame them. Shame can be a strong motivator. Hopefully individual family members will realize how petty they are being and realize that racism isn't worth losing you. In time they may accept enough that you can allow them back into your life.

I admire that you take such firm stands against injustice. I hope some of them come around.