Getting back together after a break?

Have you ever done it? I know some people who've done it (even after a break-up). And how did you do it? How much time was inbetween and why did you (both) need a break?

I'm not asking if it's possible, for some people it is for others it isn't. It really depends on the couple and why they need a break in the first place. At least that's how I feel about it.

30

Most Helpful Girl

• My ex and I are in a phase that seems to be heading towards reconciliation if things keep going at this pace. Anyway, we broke up about seven months ago because he was overwhelmed by a lot of personal issues and reached a breaking point (and for the record, I had some issues of my own that needed handling). These seven months have been a huge roller coaster, but I honestly believe that if we get back together, it will be for keeps, and I'm not sure that would be the case if we hadn't had this experience. There's that expression, 'Right person, wrong time,' and I think that holds water; sometimes breaks are exactly what you need to get yourself into a good place on your own without worrying about someone else. It's scary because no one knows the future, and the best you can do is put out good energy and hope everything works out for the best. And frankly, I don't think that right now either of us are... "healed", per se... but I think we are getting to a place where we will be more capable of being partners and helping one another through our issues, instead of those issues seeming like a hinderance.

• This is actually why I opened up this question. A lot of people are always very negative and say it's impossible to get back together after a break up. I felt like I was the only one who disagreed :) It's nice to read about some 'succes stories'!

• I think your both being careful, which is good. But one day, one of you will have to make the first step. And it can be a small step, but have good results!

• I hope so. He's really been all over the map. He did some pretty confusing things today that have me a little unsure right now. I just hope that it doesn't really mean anything but that I need more patience. I guess careful is good. Maybe that's how I have to think of it.