Meeting ex after 3 years. Need advice on a suitable present

Hello, I am meeting my ex after 3 long years.

When we broke up, she moved out of the city for a job. Now, she has returned back. We have been in touch via phone for the last month or so.

But the breakup was really bitter and we had no contact what-so-ever for the next 3 years. But now we seem to be getting along really well.

So, I was wondering what kind of gift would be suitable for the occasion. I'm looking at something really subtle, something that says "I am glad you are back in my life. Let's forget the bitterness and move ahead".

I know that's maybe a lot to ask from a simple gift, but if there's anything that comes close to what I wanna portray, I'll be glad to know.

Thanks
Updates:
Hey all!

Thanks for your comments.

Job commitments forced me to be away for a long time, but now I'm back.

Okay, back to the topic. As correctly suggested, I did not get her anything. The meeting was good. We had dinner, spoke for quite a while and overall had a good time.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Hey, I'm in a situation where my boyfriend had told me we need to go on a 'break' we've been fighting quite a lot but still love each other to bits. I think he's stressed & he says he needs some space and time and that would be best. (We've been talking about getting married for 3 years now) and just before we went off for our break, he said he still hopes he can have a future with me, that we can get married & do all th things we wanted to do, but when the time is right. And right now he doesn't want to get in the way of my life (education/work) so yh, he then said, I made a commitment with you & I will continue to keep it. So I kno this doesn't answer your question, but I'd just like to know, since we ended on a good note and he still wants a future (but we're going on no contact for the next few years) do you think we have a chance? He really will be ready in a few years? He's a 'no love before marriage/religious' sort of guy, so taking that into account do you think he will love me in few years? He will come back? He didn't say he was done forever, he said he was done for now.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• I don't think you should give her a gift. For what? It'll give her the impression that you want to try to get back together. I think it's nice that you're even meeting with her.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds good. Do you think anything will come of it. Actually...do you WANT anything else to come of it or are you content?

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm willing to give it a shot to be honest, though I know it's not the best idea in the world. But the way she has been using me as someone to talk on the phone when she's out on the streets alone and nervous, makes me think otherwise. Gotta make it clear to her that if THIS is what she wants, then maybe she should start looking elsewhere.

• Sounds like you're head is in the right place.

• Yes, I agree with everyone! Noooo gift! Totally not appropriate. Take things slowww it's been THREE years.

0|0
    0|0
  • i think she may get the wrong idea from a gift (that you are trying to start a relationship back up again) unless that is exactly what you mean by move forwards? I assume you mean as friends

if you mean a relationship I would get her a big bunch of her favorite flowers with a bow around the stems in her favorite color (most florists will easily do this for you)

if you mean as friends, no gift but buy her a coffee at a nice cafe or something informal but friendly and apologize for the bitter breakup and that you are glad to be able to make up with her as friends and how is her new job doing/how is she settling back here after a few years away? casual conversation that shows you are completely over the past and aren't going to bring it up every 5 minutes as her friend.

if you must get her a gift as friends then I guess something cute and funny, light hearted so she knows its an icebreaker and a peace offering rather then something more serious

0|0
    0|0
  • Not a damn thing!

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 2

• I don't think a gift is in order at all. I mean, this girl walked out on you for three years, and she comes back and the first influence supposed to do is buy her someing? I think it sends the wrong message. I think it sounds like you want to jump back I to a relationship what you should do is just I formally meet, for coffee or a drink and catch up and see if there is still interest there. So knows what she wants out of meeting you, but if you show up with a gift and she just wants to catch up and has no interest in picking things back up, it'll look bad on your end.

0|0
    0|0
    • There is this one thing that troubles me. For the past 6 weeks or so, she has been calling me almost daily when she leaves work and keeps talking to me until the time she reaches home. Besides that, she doesn't really ever show an affinity to talk to me.

I don't mind doing that, but when I ask her to meet me on weekends, she kinda shrugs away the idea. I was just wondering if she just feels safe to have a friendly guy to talk to on the phone. I feel like I'm being 'friend-zoned' !

• Well tell her that. It kind of sounds like she's just using you as someone to talk to without offering a ting for you. Ignore her next time she calls you. You were busy. Invite her for coffee again. If she keeps saying no, well, tell her to stop calling you

• How about a gift of nothing. Just talk with her.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes