How come it took me a while to know she was manipulating me?

I left my ex girlfriend for her. my family did not see me as the same guy while I was dating her. Now she is at deployment work up and I ended it with her. The biggest mistake I made was leaving my ex to be with her. Now that I look back I really don't see how I could be so vulnerable to her. All she was given me was money and sex and I felt like I was under her control but I just noticed it now that she is gone. What take a guy so long to notice this? For almost a year I was vulnerable and under her control

20