How do I quit smoking?

I've picked up this disgusting habit when I got with my ex girlfriend. We have broke up now and I do not want to carry on doing it. I feel dirty when I smoke but I keep getting that craving. I have one cigarette left and I plan to make it my last.

Any tips that will help me not go and buy another pack and fight the craving? I used to be so healthy taking part in sports, I still do but I'm noticing my endurance is suffering because of it. I want to be back to how I was.

Thanks in advance :)
Updates:
Had the last cigarette yesterday morning, been fine today, actually only had a small craving this afternoon with my coffee but other than that I've been OK :)

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• break the habits... notice when you typically smoke (after work, after meals, before bed, while drinking, etc.). this was the biggest for me when I quit several years ago. most smokers develop habits. I know when I cut out those times I habitually smoked it went a long way to ending the habit

find distractions... when you feel the urge develop an alternative to smoking (chewing gum, reading, etc). Really anything that will just divert your attention. typically there is a period when the craving hits, spikes and ebbs. for most people this can last about 20-30minutes. I would just try and find distractions. for me it was playing guitar or watching an episode of some TV show

nicotine replacements... there's patches, gum, mints, etc. My friend had good luck with mints with nicotine in them he could get at most gas stations. I tried it and it did give a pretty good nicotine buzz

pills... a lot of employers will actually pay for smoking cessation programs adminstered through your doctor. there are pills that co-worker of mine took. he'd been smoking for 25 years. quit in 6 months

... I think the two biggest things for me personally was being motivated and being able to quite the actual habit of smoking. when I wanted to start dating about 6 years ago I wanted to quit so that I wouldn't have to worry about finding someone who was willing to date a smoker. this was a huge motivator for me. it was still tough but it helped. and then even when I felt like I didn't need cigarettes anymore, I'd see other people smoking and just wanted to do the actual act of lighting up, inhaling the smoke, bla bla (sounds ridiculous looking back) so I made a real point of not being around smokers or walking quickly past them because the addiction is both physical and mental

good luck dude! don't get down on yourself just be committed to it. most people DO NOT quit cold turkey and setting dates to quit are usually a good way to disappoint yourself. realize it's a process. cutting back and then cutting out. don't be surprised if you occassionally find yourself slipping and puffing one just realize that it's an ongoing thing. like alcohol or drugs you're always sort of an addict even once you've quit, so like booze or hard drugs it's a process an ongoing effort

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 12

• First off, good on you for wanting to stop a bad habit. ^.^

Ways to quit smoking:

1. Realize that tobacco creates a habit on a variable reinforcement schedule.

*Sometimes it gets you high. People smoke long after they have any expectation of getting high. At some point, you can combine it with coffee and alcohol, and it still does not work, but you've done it a hundred thousand or more times by then, and so they are all habit smokes. Sometimes it actually hurts to smoke, and yet people keep doing it.

2. Find a strong inner determination to stop smoking.

*Consider making a list of the reasons you're thinking about quitting to shore up your determination. Specific, current, emotion-based reasons are better than factual, future-based reasons. For instance, "It's embarrassing to ride the elevator at work smelling like a giant cigarette" is more motivating than "I don't want to get cancer when I’m 40, 50 or 60."

*Get some facts. Look up smoking on the internet and find out the history behind it, and what happens to smokers later on in life. You'll learn about the profit motives behind the industry as well as some medically gruesome reasons to quit. Also, get the facts about any quit-smoking product or technique you're considering, as research shows that some are more effective than others. Your local consumer or community health organization might have comparison charts for you to check out.

3. Be positive and confident that you can successfully quit.

*You have spent time and energy planning how you will deal with the task ahead by following our tips for giving up smoking. Believe you can and you will do it if you persevere. Use goal accomplishment techniques and regular milestone rewards to stay focused and committed.

*Always start your new life with a sense of excitement and enjoyment.

*Give yourself rewards for milestones (1 week, 2 weeks, one month, 3 months, 6 months, etc.). For example, if you smoked three packs a week at $4 per pack, after 6 months you would have saved $288, probably even more. Reward yourself with that money.

4. Choose a specific quit date.

Instead of trying to quit each year on your birthday or for your New Year's Resolution, try quitting on a Monday! And not just next Monday - but every Monday. That gives you 52 chances in a year instead of just one chance––making it more likely that you’ll succeed. The Healthy Monday Campaign, a non-profit national public health campaign associated with the Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health, encourages people to quit smoking and take other healthy actions on Mondays.

It was a bit long, so here's the link: link

Good luck on quitting, and remember that your addiction doesn't control you. But, if you do give in, DO NOT GIVE UP. Pick yourself right back up where you left off. And, if you ever feel like smoking, you can feel free to send me a message. ^.^

1|0
    0|0
  • Cold turkey.. That's what I'm doing. I'm on my second week now and I feel pretty damn good. Although I did get a slight craving when I sat outside and had coffee this evening, but I survived. One thing that helps me is my refillable water bottle. Sounds weird, but every time I start to crave, I fill up my water bottle and suck the life out of it. Oral fixation is a bitch.

0|1
    0|0
  • realize it is very hard, it is also very possible you just have to really want to stop just be ready for the fight. There is allot of mental coaching involved. I've noticed the first 3 days are the hardest, (it takes 72 hrs for the chemicals to leave your body) this is physical withdrawal. after that is mainly mental, the third week you have some ruff cravings, and by three months its basically gone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Theres a lot of things you can do like not be around people when theyre smoking, don't allow others to smoke in your house or car, Spend you money on something you REALLY want or save up for something you really want, don't date people who smoke or at least don't let them smoke around you, talk to your DR. and see what you can do. And on top of all that, think of how much money you could save if you DONT smoke!

0|0
    0|0
  • If you'd like, you can always start forcing yourself to drink more water and chew more gum. Start by buying a bunch of gum because you will need it. Every time you have an urge to smoke, grab a piece of gum instead.

0|0
    0|0
  • The most important thing is willpower and faith. I developed a really bad habit of picking my acne during my high school years due to the stress I faced during that time, it ruined my face and instead of solving one problem created another! So I just told myself "stop doing this to yourself" and gradually stopped it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Try a patch or switch to gum to make the transition easier.

2|1
    0|0
  • I hear going to sauna rooms for 3 days straight and trying to quit smoking helps detox you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Discipline. Don't be like those people who start something, but quit because the first few weeks are difficult.

0|0
    0|0
  • I successfully quit. It was one of the hardest things I've done. I tried a few times to quit prior to that and it was only through failing that I realized how truly addicted I was. I really didn't want to be one of those people with a hole in their throat or have to live with breathing problems so that's what helped motivate me. Fear of suffering, really.

The first thing you have to acknowledge is how serious of an addiction it is; you can only fight a serious addiction with serious commitment. I think different strategies work for different people but I quit cold turkey and used New Years Day as my first day without. I avoided all places and things that could trigger cravings as much as possible. I remember I thought about cigarettes all the time, even at night when I was sleeping. It was awful but I took one day at a time and eventually things got easier and easier. I made a rule that I wouldn't let myself even hold one and I've stuck to it. I think it's an addiction like any other in that you have to manage it. I still get cravings when I'm very stressed and still occasionally have dreams that I'm smoking.

0|0
    0|0
    • Update-Awesome! Keep up the good work!

• plan ahead,

-identify triggers and problem times,

-have things ready to distract you, like chewing gum, something that occupies your hands,

-Stay busy ("the devil finds work for idle hands")

-make a goal or commitment to something else, like getting a gym membership, that is at odds with smoking.

-work on your mental attitude, everyone with an addiction associates that thing with pleasure, indulgence, gratification, and quitting with pain and deprivation, you have to work at mentally retraining yourself to think of it in a different way, every time you catch yourself craving it, remind yourself of why you want to quit, challenge and question those cravings.

1|0
    0|0
  • ah your post makes me want a cigarette! I am easily triggered...and that probably will never go away, I used to smoke a lot but with will power and a little planning ahead I have almost quit completely (I will have one once a month maybe). I stopped hanging out with my friends that smoked (they did other drugs too), but now my brother smokes so the temptation is there again... I have gotten into exercising and healthy eating and that helps a lot... also... being poor helps a whole lot. lol cigs are expensive and I need food a lot more then a quick high from a nicotine.. if I had a job I would probably be smoking again... what else are you suppose to do during 10 min breaks? ah it's hard... maybe get a vaporizer... it's supposed to be healthier..

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 23

• I quit smoking after 22 years.

I tried gums, patches, lozenges - heck, I even tried hypnotherapy and accupuncture. Nothing worked. I was pretty demoralized. But then I started bumping into former long time smokers and they had all quit cold turkey.

The idea of cold turkey was terrifying. But if you think about it, when attending a 12 step program for alcohol abuse, they don't tell anyone to consume pure gain alcohol for 30 days and then try to ween themselves off it. What sense does that make? About as much sense as applying a nicotine patch or gum in hopes its going to break your nicotine addiciton. AKA - senseless and only trades one crutch for another.

The only way to quit, is to quit. Educate yourself about nictoine and the nature of addiction. whyquit.org is a great resource for that.

Also realize that the physical withdrawl from nicotine is only about 72 hours. Then its totally out of your system and 100% mental. Also consider how fast time flies. Once you get through that 1st week, next thing you know its been a month, 2 months, 6 months - and for me, 2 years (as of two weeks ago)

That 1st week felt like an eternity, fighting off each crave as they came. But the craves litterally last only a couple minutes - you can grind your teeth and get through it.

Eventually they become less and less frequent and less and less intense. I still have occasional desire, particularly when I am drinking with friends who still smoke. But otherwise I am totally free of the habit and I couldn't be happier about that.

And I was a heavy smoker so if I could do it, anyone can do it. It really is a 'mind over matter' thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I smoke but can see why some might want to quit... My mom quit cold turkey when she found out she was pregnant with me (so you could do like her and find a "greater purpose" to get you to quit) My dad has just recently quit cold turkey because he has had a scare with lung cancer (so if you really see your endurance falling off you acn quit solely for that reason)

Personally though I think the easiest way to quit something is by slowly weening off of it. for instance if you used to smoke a pack a day cut down to half a pack a day, after a week or so of that cut down to a quarter of a pack a day, then after that becomes easier cut down to just one or 2 a day. I find that I mostly smoke socially, or when I'm drunk so cutting out those could make it easier as well. They say it isn't so much about the chemicals (although can be) as it is about having something to keep you busy (if you smoke while bored) so you can try various solutions to this ie chewing gum or on a straw ( although when I've done the straw before I've gotten colds almost every time so I don't know if there is any correlation)

Lastly you can get the "e-cigs" the thing that's nice about these is that you can still smoke (so you won't get called a p**** or what not by your friends) they have no smell, and they can be cheaper in some instances than buying actual cigs

0|0
    1|0
  • I highly recommend you join a group of people dedicated to this cause that you can call and that can call you in order to strengthen your ambitions. The greatest factor in overcoming an addiction has been consistently since focus groups have been employed a community of undersatnding individuals who are willing to help you.

As wonderful as it is that you wish to stop your odds decrease drastically if you try to do it alone. Most of the time people double-back, just like in anything else, because they have no one to answer to. Now that's not to say you're not some rare beast who can just quit anything but if that were the case you wouldn't be here asking so I find it reasonable to assume you're a normal person and as such you should join a group of people overcoming addiction and do your best to avoid, in this volatile time, hanging around people or places where smoking is common.

Now if you choose to do it alone anyway then there is nothing not "obvious" that people can do for you; you can find tips and tricks but ultimately aside from showing yourself the fruits of your labor ( saving money ) or telling yourself you're stronger than a mountain ( which most of us aren't, as individuals, only as a collective ) but I insist that even with medication most doctors will tell you to go to a focus group because your odds exponentially increase and they aren't that high at the end of the day anyway; even if you hate it your odds of quitting and never relapsing are not legendary or at all guaranteed so the process itself has something akin to the odds of flipping a coin.

1|0
    0|0
  • Try running on a treadmill for a half an hour and see how lousy you feel from the effects of smoking. Chantix is a good medication or e cigarettes. If you get a job in health care or work for a pulmonologist and see patients come in on oxygen the reality of smoking would be more clear.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cold turkey. Put the money you would spend on a pack of smokes in an envelope. After a month, count how much money you have.

1|0
    0|0
  • Track your days quit and aim for a 30 day challenge. When stressed out find another habit to cope(squeezing a ball or something similar).

0|0
    0|0
  • You need to change the way you are thinking,

a large portion of the smoking habit is just habit.

Patch companies want you believing you are helpless to fight the chemicals. But the fact is that your body clears itself of any chemically induced addiction from smoking after a few days of no smoking.

An example would be why are you planning to smoke the rest of the pack when you want to stop?

don't plan on smoking any more.

While you are mentally strong and in the mood to quit get rid of your remaining smokes. Even if it's a full packet or has just one more.

If you want to quit

- and smoking makes you feel dirty

-you want to be healthy

-you can feel them reducing your endurance

then set your mind to the task of changing the way you think.

A strange and probably even less than half baked idea came to mind. It may be possible to make some sort of arrangement like the "slap bet" described on the "How I met your mother" TV series to help you quit.

0|0
    0|0
  • Start taking jones instead. You'll be amazed how quick you'll quit smoking. ... at least that's what I've heard of. ;)

0|0
    0|0
  • Cold turkey with discipline.

If I can do it, anyone else can do it. Not difficult after the 2nd week

0|0
    0|0
  • I started working out and then I just quit cold turkey. Just feels like your working out for nothig when you smoke.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just pretend that no other girl in this world would ever want to date you, if you keep smoking cigarettes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just stop. You'll having cravings for the first two weeks and then you'll be over it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Use a vaporizer and taper off.

0|2
    0|0
  • By not starting.

1|0
    3|2
  • By a patch

Meditate

1|0
    0|0
  • willpower

0|0
    0|0
  • Never pick it up, be strong willed! Think of what it's going to do to your handsome face!(No homo.)

It will make you smell nasty, stain skin and teeth, and wrinkle your face!

0|0
    0|0
  • As a smoker, I would definitely recommend using an e cigarette. It's pretty hard to quit cold turkey, though I do know a few people that have been able to do so.

0|1
    1|0
  • Bind yourself to a bed or something or maybe Make it so that you cannot afford it Or perhaps Settle it With some alcohol

0|0
    0|0
  • take up drinking.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes