How do I quit smoking?

I've picked up this disgusting habit when I got with my ex girlfriend. We have broke up now and I do not want to carry on doing it. I feel dirty when I smoke but I keep getting that craving. I have one cigarette left and I plan to make it my last.

Any tips that will help me not go and buy another pack and fight the craving? I used to be so healthy taking part in sports, I still do but I'm noticing my endurance is suffering because of it. I want to be back to how I was.

Thanks in advance :)
Had the last cigarette yesterday morning, been fine today, actually only had a small craving this afternoon with my coffee but other than that I've been OK :)

1224

Most Helpful Guy

• break the habits... notice when you typically smoke (after work, after meals, before bed, while drinking, etc.). this was the biggest for me when I quit several years ago. most smokers develop habits. I know when I cut out those times I habitually smoked it went a long way to ending the habit

find distractions... when you feel the urge develop an alternative to smoking (chewing gum, reading, etc). Really anything that will just divert your attention. typically there is a period when the craving hits, spikes and ebbs. for most people this can last about 20-30minutes. I would just try and find distractions. for me it was playing guitar or watching an episode of some TV show

nicotine replacements... there's patches, gum, mints, etc. My friend had good luck with mints with nicotine in them he could get at most gas stations. I tried it and it did give a pretty good nicotine buzz

pills... a lot of employers will actually pay for smoking cessation programs adminstered through your doctor. there are pills that co-worker of mine took. he'd been smoking for 25 years. quit in 6 months

... I think the two biggest things for me personally was being motivated and being able to quite the actual habit of smoking. when I wanted to start dating about 6 years ago I wanted to quit so that I wouldn't have to worry about finding someone who was willing to date a smoker. this was a huge motivator for me. it was still tough but it helped. and then even when I felt like I didn't need cigarettes anymore, I'd see other people smoking and just wanted to do the actual act of lighting up, inhaling the smoke, bla bla (sounds ridiculous looking back) so I made a real point of not being around smokers or walking quickly past them because the addiction is both physical and mental

good luck dude! don't get down on yourself just be committed to it. most people DO NOT quit cold turkey and setting dates to quit are usually a good way to disappoint yourself. realize it's a process. cutting back and then cutting out. don't be surprised if you occassionally find yourself slipping and puffing one just realize that it's an ongoing thing. like alcohol or drugs you're always sort of an addict even once you've quit, so like booze or hard drugs it's a process an ongoing effort