After ending a great relationship, are your standards higher for the next relationship?

After a great relationship (compatible, good sex, etc) ends, do you find yourself wanting something that will be as good as the last relationship or even better?

I met my EX today and we chat. He said it is difficult to get over what we had 2 years ago because he couldn't find something better.
  • Yes I have higher standards after experiencing great relationships
    Vote A
  • No, past doesn't affect my standards for the next relationship
    Vote B
  • See answer
    Vote C
  • Never had a great relationship
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't say higher, but most definitely different. I wouldn't want to date an exact copy or upgraded version of my ex. In relationships (and out of relationships) we are constantly growing and the thing the things that interest us change all the time. The characteristics and traits we appreciate in people evolve too. My mental, emotional and physical standards may/will change, but I won't say that one is better than the other.

Just because my last girl drove a car doesn't mean that girls without cars are now excluded or if she was a manger that everyone below that level is now excluded. The thing about compatibility is that the material things shouldn't matter. As much as people have lists of criteria, you won't know if Someone is good for you until you sit down and get to know them.

If you ended things I can understand why your boy is having difficulties

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• 1. I don't compare 2 relationships ever, I treat any relationship as a different entity

2. The other person in a relationship is not a benchmark for a comparative situation so no question of me setting standards and shopping for another one :)

3. I look for compatibility in any relationship and as long as that is achieved to a good extent I'd say it's as good as any :)

I voted 'B'

0|0
    0|0
  • Naturally if you just got out of a good relationship, it would be nice to have something as good, if not better.

Usually if a relationship ends it's because something bad happened, or because things went south, or we grew apart. So naturally, I'm going to want something better than what I just left. However, I am not looking for more of the same, necessarily, and I don't have any expectations of what the next girl will be like. That kind of rebound thinking is part of the shit that sabotages relationships so early after a break-up.

I can't say I expect things to be better, or even the same, but I do hope things are still good, naturally, and if I get better, then awesome. I can tell you that I DO expect better after ending a BAD relationship. lol

So that's my answer.

3|2
    0|0
  • yes I think it be harder to get over someone if you cannot find someone as good or better than they were as a partner to you . I mean most people don't want to lower there standards after dating someone of a certain standard or who they really liked or such . so it can be tough to find someone who matches those standards sometimes

0|0
    0|0
  • As a general rule, your next lover is always better in some way than your last one.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well since it was my first relationship now I have a better idea what it is I want.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Everything in life is a learning experience.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• I don't think I have higher expectations but I have a better idea what I want from a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm now more secure in myself and in what I want. So yeah, I suppose I have higher/different standards

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah cause now I know what I don't want in a partner

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone I had something special with affects me and what I look for

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's human nature to want to maximize good things and minimize bad ones. It takes logic and maturity to understand that you can't have everything.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes