Is it Necessary to Have a Rebound in Between Long Term Relationships?

So I'm curious to see people's opinions on this: is it necessary to have a rebound in between long term relationships?

My personal story is that my ex-GF (of six years)and I broke up just over a year ago. I've dated 4-5 girls since then, but haven't had sex or a meaningless fling (there's been some PG making out and some over-the-clothes touching that was a lot of fun, but nothing I'd consider a rebound or a meaningless fling).

I started seeing someone recently that might have the potential for something long-term, and thus this question popped in my head.

By the way, my answer would be no, that rebounds aren't necessary. But I'm a relationship kinda guy and I know not everyone will see it this way.

54

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I don't really think rebounds are necessary.

I actually think having a rebound is pretty sad. It's something I'll always try to avoid. It's not good for you or the person you're involved with.

I'm not really into casual dating either, so I understand where you're coming from.

You've been single for over a year, I think plenty of time has gone by to see promise in this new relationship. Good luck! :-)

• Yeah I was of the same thought process. I mean, it's one thing if both people know it's a casual thing, but I feel like most rebounds go into it not knowing that's what they're being used for.

And like you said, it really seems counterproductive for the person who's doing the rebounding, especially if they're not a casual dater by nature. Oh, and thanks! I'm optimistic by nature, so here's to hoping for the best. ;-)

• You're welcome! Things fizzled out, but I'm still glad I asked y'all what you thought. :)

• Ah, well I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck for the next, haha!