Girls, how long did it take you not to cry after a break up?

My boyfriend told me he didn't see a future between the two of us September 1st. We officially broke up one week ago. I've cried every day since the first of the month, and although nothing was as bad as those first couple days after that conversation, the crying hasn't let up at all. I'll be driving in my car and just suddenly burst into tears, or have to escape to the bathroom in the middle of the day. How long did it take you to heal? Hell, forget healing, I'd settle for not spontaneously bursting into tears. I'm not the sort to cry over nothing, I generally don't even cry at funerals. I don't get it.

32

Most Helpful Girl

• I cried at least one month (daily) or two months (occasionally) after my break up. It's normal. The only thing that will help you is time. It helps to distract yourself with other things but depending on how you are and how you grieve, you may think about it constantly no matter how occupied you are. That's how I was. But I know a friend of mine had her mind completely taken off of things once she had distractions.

You won't be able to help it when you cry. It's best to just let it happen. If you're in public try to go to the bathroom or some place private and cry it out. You'll have to get over it in your own time. No contact will help but you shouldn't go with how long it takes another person to get over a break up. They're not you and everyone deals with things differently. Just because he may get over you in a month doesn't mean you'll get over him that soon. It should help to come to terms with it though and only begin dating again when you're comfortable, confident, and ready.

• Thanks. That's some really sound advice. This was my first relationship since the beginning of university (a high school one that lasted 5 years), and while this one didn't quite last even a year, the emotion is just so much stronger. I guess at this stage of life it's just entirely different. I wasn't expecting such a lack of control, since I'm normally someone that has a fairly large amount of control over the emotions I show. To not be able to hold it in like that...

• I totally understand. It's okay to feel that way. Like I said, it's best to let yourself feel this emotion rather than keep it inside. You don't want it to hinder your future relationships. All the best to you! :)