English speaker moving to France. Advice?

Limited French, wanting to improve. I will have 3 months. Which city would be easiest for me to find work? Any work really I won't have much choice!

15

Most Helpful Guy

• paris would be easiest to find work.

being a non-french speaker I can tell you that you will want to work on your French so you can at least give it a shot because many Parisians despise non-french speakers who make no attempt to speak the language. Outside of Paris they are much more kind across the board to English speakers.

But know that most people in French have at least basic understanding of English. Paris is obviously the economic, cultural, and political center of France so it will be the easiest to find the most job opportunities but it certainly doesn't mean that other places would have opportunities. I spent a month in south france...fairly close the swiss border. the people were so incredibly kind with a true sense of community. There are small cities and large towns with jobs as well. It really depends on what kind of environment you want and most non-french people going to France are probably envisioning the life that Paris offers

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Did you work? Did you pick up much if the language? I already speak a little, but it's been a long time!

• i was there for a month studying. I did not pick up much of the language but I also had no reason to as where I was studying was an English speaking university... If you speak some and sort of make an effort I'm sure you'll pick up on more of the language