You won't cheat on your partner if you're truly content? True or false?

Can you really claim to be happy in your relationship but want to cheat for the thrill of things? Does someone not fulfill all of your needs if you feel the need to cheat on them? I feel like these may be redundant, sorry if they are but just answer what you think. Thanks.
Updates:
Good answers from everyone so far! I'm a little torn for Best Answer.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Cheating is about sex, pride and control. A man who feels respected by his wife and gets his satisfaction is very, very unlikely to ever cheat. On the other hand, if the woman controls everything, makes him feel like a dog (by nagging all day long about anything he's doing) and puts her own pride before his satisfaction, then she shouldn't wonder, if he gets elsewhere what he covets.

As a professional marriage counselor, I get to see and to hear a lot... But you can pretty much breakt it down into that simplification I wrote above.

A content man will most likely not cheat, even if the woman grew past the blossom of her youth...

On the other hand for women it's mostly the case, that she doesn't feel coveted by her man anymore. Then she goes out and gets one who gives her the feeling of being worth being chased.

1|1
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• According to the dictionary, to be content is to be "reasonably happy and satisfied with the way things are." Since you are adding the modifier "truly" I am assuming you mean "completely happy and satisfied with the way things are." If this were possible, then I would stipulate that it would imply not being interested in anything else since nothing else could make you happier. However, the question then becomes whether anyone can be truly content...

It seems that humans have a special quality of not being content, for this is precisely where creativity is generated. Animals are generally content with the way things are--they accept their lot in life. Yes, they have drives which they seek to satisfy but not through acts of creativity. However, humans are creative because they are never satisfied (or are never satisfied because they have a drive to be creative). Only in rare circumstances have some humans achieved true contentment, usually through a lifetime of meditation with the goal of removing all desire (Buddhism).

For the rest of us life is a path of dissatisfaction, possibly with some temporary instances of contentment along the way (if we are lucky). People always want what they can't have, or more of what they already have. It is a curse we are born with. Even people who are "reasonably happy and satisfied" at the moment soon feel that something is lacking--there has to be something better out there somewhere, and they feel compelled to seek it out. There are so many stories of success followed by the inevitable fall. We wonder why the person couldn't stop while things were going well--why they had to press on toward their ruin...

Perhaps the real problem is that for humans happiness is not a state, but instead is like an infinite staircase: there is always one more step. People imagine that happiness is a place, somewhere you can go and just be happy as long as you are there. In reality, no matter where you are it will eventually become "ordinary," and you will soon glimpse the next step on the staircase of happiness and try to get there. Only after repeating this process many, many times do some people achieve the awareness that this game is not winnable--and then they are able to relax a bit and not take the game so seriously. Other people never realize it, and keep playing the game their whole lives...

But to return to your question, it is not easy for one person to fulfill all of another person's needs. People are too complex for that. Some of those needs may be fulfilled by people outside a relationship without violating any social customs, others can cause pain and suffering. It is clear that some people are content with a single sexual partner for their whole marriage--others are not. It even seems there are people who are happy with multiple wives and families in different cities, going back and forth between them. In the end, almost anything is possible with humans...

0|0
    0|0
    • good grief! I would vote you up for your answer but vote you down for being so long winded about it! Good answer anyway!

• Some will cheat,even if they're getting everything they want in their relationship,and even when they know if they asked for more they would get it.

They may cheat with people who don't even treat them as well as their partner does,or do anything as well as their partner does.

If there are ever any financial problems in a relationship,the one doing the least to solve those problems is the one most likely to cheat.

1|2
    0|0
  • For the most part it's true that people don't cheat when happy in their relationship. However, in rare instances some people will cheat even when happy for the thrill of potenlially being caught. These people tend to have emotional and/or behavioral problems that need proffestional help. But, in my personal opinion there is no valid reason for anyone to cheat.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't cheat anyway, but yeah if I was completely happy with the relationship in all it's facets I'd commit long term... No problem. I just tend to abandon a relationship if it's not working. I don't cheat, but I don't kid myself and say I can save this when it's obviously something that is out of my hands.

1|0
    0|1
  • I think cheating has more to do with the cheater being selfish rather than the actions of the person being cheated on.

That being said, we owe it to our partners to give 100% to the relationship.

1|1
    0|1
  • I suppose its true, but the catch is, some people are not capable of actually being -truly- content in a monogamous relationship.

The need to have multiple partners is not a need -I- have, but some people clearly do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Me? Yes very true.

But a lot of people would never be fully content.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cheaters cheat but decent moral and happy people that are in a committed relationship will not cheat. Even a satisfied person that is a cheater in a relationship will still cheat no matter their circumstances. There are holes in people emotionally. Also inherently people are not meant to be monogamous. We are evolving and becoming more and more monogamous but maybe we are centuries or even thousands of years from that. I don't know if that is good or bad. It is just the way it is. I do believe though in marriage if someone cheats it is a moral issue. A promise like that should be kept and everything should be done possible to fix a marriage before trust is broken.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the person. I do think there are some men who are just cheaters by nature, but they are a small minority.

Speaking for myself and the men I know, cheating is very unlikely if he is in a relationship of mutual love and respect AND his sexual needs are being met. That last one is really important!

2|0
    0|1
  • Well, I wouldn't cheat on my partner regardless, but I can't think of any reason why someone would cheat on their partner if they were truly content.

1|0
    0|1
  • That's not the universal reason why people cheat (truly content). Until you understand why people cheat, you won't understand why this question is bogus.

0|0
    1|2
  • you won't cheat on your partner if you truly love them. most people use the term love too loosely. if you appreciate your partner, you would realize what you risk losing. one night of passion is not worth a lifetime of love.

3|1
    0|1
    • Well said! I hope you don't mind me rephrasing this a bit"one night of lust is not worth a lifetime of love."

What Girls Said 5

• If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you love and respect your partner then there should be no need to even think about cheating. Especially if you're happy in your relationship... if you have a loving partner, a pretty smooth relationship and not much to complain about, at that point you're just being selfish if you feel the need to cheat "for the thrill of things."

1|0
    0|0
  • No I would think that the relationship is lacking something if the person is seeking it elsewhere.

I know a guy who cheats and it's because his wife doesn't give him any affection and basically treats him like a roommate.

1|0
    0|0
  • Even if I wasn't happy with him I'll try to make it work with him but never cheat on him that's the worst thing I could do to him

1|0
    0|0
  • True, if you are content you would not want to cheat.

Like that old saying goes, 'never leave the one you love for the one you like'!

1|0
    0|0
  • That's kinda of hard one and seems kinda mean when you think about it.

To blame the other person for there signficant other cheating? Truth is,

were all human and humans make mistakes. But, we also have will power

to stop ourself's from giving into temptation. So, though some people might

cheat because they're not content, there's other people that aren't content in

there relationship and don't cheat,but instead just leave.

I have two Aunts and cousin that were married and cheated on. So, I know that

it's not as simple as being content or not content, sometimes a person just cheats.

I wish I could give clearer answer to the question, but I don't think there is one.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes