Intimacy problems after being cheated on?

I was cheated on back in July and that was pretty much the end of a relationship I had with someone who always made me the #1 thing in her life. I always made her the #1 thing in my life and then one day it just ended and I never got an explanation, I was just told what happened and we never spoke again.

Since that day happened I have found myself in position 3 times to have a serious relationship with someone else. I didn't wait for long after we broke up to try and move on. But I just can't put myself in a position to get hurt again. I went out with a girl 4 times and then s topped speaking to her because I didn't want to get hurt and I knew that it hurt her. Today a girl I have dated for a little less than a month told me she loves me. I don't know what to say all I can think about is what happened last time.

Anyone have any ideas or ever had issues like this before?

50

Most Helpful Girl

• I think a lot of people have had that problem. I'm sorry you were cheated on. It's possible that you just aren't ready for a serious relationship at the moment. If that's the case, try to be transparent with they people you're dating. If they still fall hard and fast, it's their issue at that point.

It's possible, too, that being a bit needy and vulnerable after the breakup has made you attractive to people who want to rush things. Dating less than a month and dropping L-bombs seems rushed, to me. What we project often attracts a counterpart behavior. I'd also be on the lookout for manipulative people or controlling people during this hard time.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thank you for that. I know I rushed things but following my relationship I was cheated on I felt lonely like no one wanted me. I went out and looked for someone to fill the void that was left but I can't fully commit to a relationship I just feel like I need someone though.

I could see how that could happen, people can often pick up on that behavior and feel like we can connect that way. I just don't want to get hurt again but in the process I end up hurting other people I don't want to.