How does your school year run?

Someone in the States recently told me that our school year in South Africa seemed "weird" to them and they did not understand it.

Basically our education year runs from January - December. That's one year.

SCHOOL - 4 terms with a 2-3 week break in between each term.

We get December-Mid January off.

COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY - 2 Semesters with +/- 1.5 month break in between.

We get December - February off.

I know this is not the way it works overseas. Please explain how it is where you're from.

33

Most Helpful Girl

• In Canada, grade school students (elementary to high school) go to school from September - June, with 2 weeks off for Christmas and New Years (winter break). In high school, there are two semesters - #1 is Sept. - Dec. and #2 is Jan. - June. There is a week long break in March. The summer break is 2 months long, July - August. Most provinces follow that schedule.

For college and university students, the school year goes from September to April, with the same kind of winter break as above (although December is exam month for semester 1, so you only go in for your exams, not everyday). April is exam month for semester 2. There is a week long break in February

And the summer break is 4 months long, from May - August. Although most universities offer a third summer term during this period, where each semester is 2 months long. It is not required - it's totally optional, so you can go to school year round if you'd like to.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I'm so intrigued - why start the year around September?

• Good question. It's always been that way. I'm guessing it's because it's the beginning of the Fall season. I don't imagine that kids want to go to school through the summer months. Fall and Winter here are cold and snowy so it's nice to stay inside :)