We broke up because of trust issues/too much stress. I want him back, what should I do?

My boyfriend and I broke up about 4 weeks ago. We got in this huge argument because he thought I didn't trust him. I admit that I was being overly jealous at the time because he has so many female friends and he talks to them on a regular basis. Also he sort of used to be a bit of a player. Anyways I was his longest relationship (about a year) and we really did love each other. I also lost my v-card to him. Also when we broke up he was really stressing about school (he has very bad grades), wrestling coming up, and the fact that we weren't seeing each other enough. When we were breaking up he told me that he still loved me and that if its meant to be we will be together in the future. Also he really wanted to stay friends. I have texted him here and there during the 4 weeks of our break up but he never texted first and he mostly stopped replying during the conversation. I still am in contact with his mom too she always texts me to ask if I'm okay and tells me that he misses me and still cares and to "give it time" what does that mean? Like not talking to him or just waiting it out? I want him back because he's my best friend and the boy I love. Also it ended so abruptly so it feels like it isn't over. What should I do? I don't have much going on in my life so I have way too much time to think about him and over analyze everything. I just need some advice.

21