Guys, if you buy your girlfriend jewellery and you break up, what do you expect her to do with it?

I mean lets say you spent a fair amount of money on some jewellery for her, and you broke up...would you want it back? I personally don't like to keep things that remind me of my exes and I would feel bad if he spent more than £100 on something that I will never wear.

I know with engagement rings it is proper for the women to return it.

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• well id leave it as her chocie to do as she wishes

break ups happen and also depends why you break up if tis because of moving away etc and leading diffferent lifestyles then it might be nice as a momento of the other person and reminder to stay in touch

but at the end of the day he gave it to you as gift so id expect her to do with it what she will

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• I'd leave it up to her. If it means something to her, a memento of our time together, I wouldn't mind her keeping it.

But if it's a situation where we both want to forget we ever knew each other, I'd expect her to return it. But I wouldn't pressure her about it. I'd feel sad about getting it back; I wouldn't hae givenit to her unless I thought it was going to be something taht would tie us together forever.

1|0
    1|0
  • No, I wouldn't want it back. It would remind me of our past relationship that didn't work out just the same as it would to her. A decent option for her would be to recycle it and thus make a new piece of jewellery. This is what I would've done had I received any precious gifts from her. Selling is an option if she lacks the creativity to do it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't mind her keeping it. I bought it for her. My ex still has diamond earrings I gave her. I'm not sure if she wears them though.

2|0
    0|0
  • It was a gift it is hers to keep or sell

0|0
    0|0
  • Engagement rings have a specific meaning. It's not just a gift, your boyfriend is saying something just by giving it to you, and you're saying something when you accept it. It wouldn't be right to keep it.

Gifts, on the other hand, are yours to keep. A gift is a gift, it comes without conditions.

1|0
    0|0
  • Keep it. I don't want any of her things. I obviously feel bad about spending my money and not really getting anything in return, but I can't really tell her or ask her to give those things back to me. That would be very rude. Not a way that I would act.

3|0
    0|0
  • i don't want anything I gave to her. if she can't keep them because it reminds her of us she can ditch it or sell it. I don't mind

3|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• sell it, keep it, do whatever you want with it. You generally don't give back gifts. Engagement rings are different because they are more of a promise of marriage. If you break off the engagement, you've broken the promise and therefore give the ring back. Some places even have laws that you must give the ring back.

Jewellery as gifts are different though. He should not be expecting to get those back, just like a woman should not be expecting him to give back any gifts she gave him during their relationship.

2|1
    0|0
  • Pawn it if you don't wanna wear it

0|0
    0|0
  • Buying someone jewelry as a gift is exactly that, a gift. You should never expect to get that back.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes