What do you feel about cheat days?

I've heard mixed reviews about having a 'cheat day' when trying to cut unhealthy foods from your daily routine. I'm trying to get back into my running shape and eat clean all week, however, I give myself one cheat day every two weeks. I found that when I do this, I feel better, and my middle looks slimmer.

so my question is, what are your opinion on cheat days?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• There are two separate things here.

One is using a high calorie period (often high carb as well) as a metabolic reset to help boost hormone levels so that you are avoiding metabolic slowdowns.

The second is a psychological break to help you stay clean the rest of the time. For this, a cheat -day- is quite a bit.

Whether you need the former depends on the type of dieting you are using and the caloric deficit you're running. Its ideally done with a certain amount of intelligence regarding what you eat. Unless you're running a big deficit you probably don't need it. If you are using IF you know how they fit into that type of plan.

If its for psychological reasons and your weekly deficit is big enough, I'd suggest two meals rather than one day. And cheat meal in that sense doesn't mean 'time to gorge'. It means eating a reasonable portion of whatever you like.

If you're not running a significant deficit, you don't get any cheats. Personally I find that much harder then running a big deficit with some cheats.

0|2
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• I think most successful plans include occasional 'cheat' days. For one thing they remind you that you have to have your own will power, strong enough to resist falling back into old habits.

Once you are acccusotmed to thinking about how much and what you are reatingm, you'll behave pretty well, even on 'cheat' days.

0|0
    0|0
  • if youve been working hard youve earned it. can slow your progress weight wise, but its also good for the sanity, mind is as important if not more important than the body. better to slip on cheat foods than drugs or alcohol id say. id go crazy if I didn't have me some fried chicken every now and again.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not something I'd recommend to somebody that's losing weight. But I can see it working for others.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am dieting again these days. I have a spartan diet on week-days (nearly only vegetables) but on the week-end, I have a bit of everything (but just a bit).

It's important because if you cut everything out of your diet, your body will start to miss some inputs and the diet will stop being healthy.

But also, there is a risk that as soon as the diet is over, you'll jump on all the things you didn't have earlier, and your weight might do the rollercoaster.

But you need to completely stop with calories-bombs, like deep-fried food and chocolat bars. And to completely stop eating junk stuff between meals.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm (mostly) agreeing with kheserthorpe.

Don't call it a "cheat" day, it is a refeed day. You are supposed to eat at a caloric surplus and eat high carb for the day. This will reverse metabolic adaptations to dieting that slow down fat loss (hormonal fluctuations). It is also a psychological rest from the stress of avoiding certain foods (specifically high calorie foods, frequent meals or large portions).

Just don't eat foods you think are difficult to stop eating and as you get leaner, and feel the need, increase the frequency of refeeds to 1x/week.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me: Every day is a cheat day!

0|0
    0|0
  • Who cares, just work out and run and you can eat what you want to.

0|0
    0|1
  • Sadly I make everyday a cheat day

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• i'm passively trying to lose weight but I don't really think of them as cheat days, more like going with my mood

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they're really important. It's very easy to get stuck in this "all or nothing" attitude, and your diet has to be perfect. But, it's very easy to start getting cravings, that too many times can lead to a binge. So, it's more important to have a healthy diet, and allow indulgences every once in a while. And, if you have a planned cheat day, you can tell yourself, "okay, I'm allowed to eat McDonalds or chips or whatever" which makes it a lot easy to stick to your diet. Because, I mean, you can't be on a diet forever, and moderation is the key to never needing to be on one again. So, yes, cheat days are definitely important.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's a silly term. Eat mostly healthy and some unhealthy. The end. That's called being realistic and satisfying yourself in MY opinion

0|0
    0|0
  • I do the same and I find them great, I look slimmer doing this two :)

0|0
    0|0
  • it works for me, I have one cheat day a week, I find I am more disciplined about the good days when I have the incentive of a cheat day to keep me focused, and psychologically it gives me break, I know if I did not plan cheat days, I would just eventually crack and ruin all my progress with a binge, no matter how moderate I am.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes