What do you feel about cheat days?

I've heard mixed reviews about having a 'cheat day' when trying to cut unhealthy foods from your daily routine. I'm trying to get back into my running shape and eat clean all week, however, I give myself one cheat day every two weeks. I found that when I do this, I feel better, and my middle looks slimmer.

so my question is, what are your opinion on cheat days?

59

Most Helpful Guy

• There are two separate things here.

One is using a high calorie period (often high carb as well) as a metabolic reset to help boost hormone levels so that you are avoiding metabolic slowdowns.

The second is a psychological break to help you stay clean the rest of the time. For this, a cheat -day- is quite a bit.

Whether you need the former depends on the type of dieting you are using and the caloric deficit you're running. Its ideally done with a certain amount of intelligence regarding what you eat. Unless you're running a big deficit you probably don't need it. If you are using IF you know how they fit into that type of plan.

If its for psychological reasons and your weekly deficit is big enough, I'd suggest two meals rather than one day. And cheat meal in that sense doesn't mean 'time to gorge'. It means eating a reasonable portion of whatever you like.

If you're not running a significant deficit, you don't get any cheats. Personally I find that much harder then running a big deficit with some cheats.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE