Was he being sincere? Or should I move on?

Me and my ex of almost 3 months split up Friday. He explained that he felt like we were moving to fast and that he wasn't over his ex (of 4yrs). Says he still loves me and cares about me he just isn't ready. He explained that maybe in a couple months we can try again or he may realize he made the wrong choice in a couple days, he wasn't sure he was making the right choice by leaving. He also said he still wants to be friends an hang out, but I don't know of I can do that emotionally he was so good to me I am completely torn by this. So now its wed and I still haven't heard from him and he still has a bunch of stuff to come get this weekend that he clearly could have fit in his truck when he left Friday... Today I did text him a specific day and what hours he could come to get his things he responded almost immediately that, that would be fine. I'm just still so confused!
I should add that instead of leaving immediately he took his time grabbing stuff and sonera what following me around and just watching me. It almost was if he was waiting on me to beg him not to leave. BUT if he really cares and blah blah, why isn't he initiating contact with me...

20