2 steps forward 4 steps back.

I'm nearly 4 months into a break up and I felt like I was doing really well. I've moved on as much as I can by reconnecting with old friends and family, started new hobbies like keeping fit and swimming etc even been on a date or two. About 2 weeks ago my ex started showing off her new boyfriend in front of me and my friends. Now I don't love her anymore and don't want her back because the relationship wasn't a good one and I'm happier without her but here's the thing. Since she started showing off her new fella she's started invading my thoughts again almost like what happens at the start of a break up. I'm trying so hard to distract myself (Xbox,kickboxing,gym) but its like she's haunting me! Any advice? Another thing that's affecting me is that nearly everyone I know that's been in a breakup have found another relationship within 3 or 4 months of being single. I'm adjusting to being happy alone but can't help but think I'm a loser because I've not got another girl while my ex is flaunting her new guy in front of everyone I know.

21

Most Helpful Girl

• Welcome to the club. I actually broke up with my boyfriend 5 months ago because he was emotionally abusive and destroyed my self-esteem. I finalIly broke up with him and was relieved. I could now do whatever I wanted without his constant criticism. He said he was devastated. I was finding the break up hard and like you was getting on with life. 4 weeks later he got a new gitlfriend. I know ecactly what you're talking about its like somebody just rips the band aid off that wound and leaves it exposed again. I have felt all the things you have felt.

You've got wondsr why the need to parade her boyfriend around so much in front of you? Is she really happy with him?

I think we feel like this because we can't understand why we aren't getting any lovs but they are. It just feels unfair. You aren't a loser at all, rushing back into another relationship just tells md they are someone who cannot survive on their own. They constantly need to be withsomeone to reassure themselves they are a human being.

All I can say is time is a healer and don't go by other peoples timimg in life. You will know when the time is right to start a new relationship that is good for you. After all you don't want to be going through another break up, so make sure she is right first. :)

• Hi thanks for your time and advice, sorry to hear about your relationship, I got that feeling off relief too! Your advice is spot on, while ill admit it does feel unfair that my cheating ex gets love while I'm alone I take heart from the fact I'm so much stronger than I was, and I've learned to love myself first before letting someone love me. I think my ex thinks she's winning some sort of break up competition but like you say its no race.