Is he still in love with his ex?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 6 months now. I'm his first girlfriend that he's had in about 5 years, and I am also 10 years younger than him. He had told me his last ex cheated on him for a whole year while they were dating, and that's all I knew of it; I didn't care to ask him about it, because I have always felt that anything that needs to be said will be said when the person's ready to talk about it. Anyways, lately he has been acting strange. He got really mad/upset with me because I hadn't changed my Facebook status.. saying that men were commenting on my pictures because they thought I was single; I understand, that's fine. . but, I couldn't understand why he was so mad at me when he hadn't changed his. I changed mine anyways, and asked if we could be Facebook friends. He said no; he said he wanted to give me privacy with my Facebook and that he never got on his for it to really matter. A red flag came up, and I thought about an instance a few months back where he got angry at his ex for getting married and not telling him or inviting him; only for him to find out through Facebook. At the time I thought 'why does it matter? She's your ex' but dismissed it. Now I feel like maybe he's still caught up on her and is trying to hide our relationship because he doesn't want her to see that he's no longer single. Aside from that, I feel like he holds her infidelity against me. He gets so jealous of me hanging around my male friends or even male coworkers. He was complaining to me the other night over the phone that he hasn't slept properly in 5 years, suffering from insomnia- this just furthered my anger, because I feel like he can't sleep due to the fact he can't get over her. It doesn't help that we met online. We don't live close to each other, which I found to be nice at first since I'm usually busy with college and work. But, when I offered to buy him a ticket to see me, he refused! He said it hurt his masculinity and that he would prefer I visit him. I really care about him, the Skype dates are nice, but I don't want to just be that girl that makes him feel less old because I'm younger and feed him attention while he pines for his ex. I have a lot going for me in engineering, and I really love how we get along. Heck, I love the age difference. But, I hate the doubts I have. I hate that he even gives me these vibes. Why can't we be Facebook friends? Why won't he just let me get him a ticket to visit me? Why does he question me all the time, and get controlling and fearful that I may cheat? I'm not that kind of girl, and it hurts when he treats me like I am.
Am I over looking everything? Should I step back from the relationship and move more slowly?

07

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly it just sounds like he's got trust issues due to his past relationship. He can't stand any male giving you attention because he's worried that you will at some point hook up. That's why he's so controlling.

The fact that he refused to see you even if you paid also tells me that he's pretty immature or too proud for his own good. It's pretty long-distance and you're a cute girl, I would say you should explore better options... this guy has baggage

• I knew he had baggage. He told me when we first started talking. I think for me I need to be patient. I don't think you love someone if you can quit on him because he and his issues become less simple and inconvenient. I was upset at first, but talking it through I realize it's a lot of insecurities. I'm still focusing on my university studies, so it's not like by leaving him I'm going to search for options. We happened on accident, and fell in love. I'm not going to give up on him.