Avoiding unwanted attention. Any advice?

I really need some advice, I have just started a part time job and that means I need to get the bus back in the evenings.

It was my first night yesterday and on the bus back and I am a naturally wary and worried person about the dangers of strangers and men with teenage girls so I always keep my head down at the front on my phone.

One stop, a man got on (clearly wasn't right in the head) and started stroking my leg higher and higher and asking me if he's making me feel uncomfortable, one other passenger even said he should move to which he replied no I am fine here. Obviously I was terrified and was looking around panicky seeing if I should move and he noticed and if he should move. I was shaking so much and said yes please so he got up and moved but was glaring at me the whole time. Then he got off the stop. And I was in tears.

This isn't the first time this has happened, and no I don't wear ANY revealing clothes or any makeup at all. So I have no idea why this is happening.

Any advice please on what I can do or how I can act to keep these sort of people away and not to sit by me or follow me or talk to me etc... Thank you so much.

31

Most Helpful Girl

• Act confident. Glare at anyone who tries to intimidate you. Don't show fear. Carry around pepper spray. You should've said, in a loud and firm voice, "DON'T touch me! This is sexual harassment." And taken out your phone ready to dial 911. Don't tolerate this type of harassment. Don't look all mousey and gullible and naive. Look tough, confident, and slightly mean/bit**y. Master the b**ch glare or the WTF face. It clearly sends the message of "WTF do you think you're doing @$$hole?"

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I need to toughen up then and I will, again thanks for another bit of great advice I will get working on it :) Got a really good idea now of how I need to act x

• Thanks for BA :). Everyone has worth and deserves to be treated with respect.