Is Polyamory better suited for humans than Monogamy?

I mean American society, of course.

Extremely common affairs such as: rekindling old flames with ex's on Facebook, emotional cheating with a friend or co-worker, sex while on vacation in another state/country, sex while your spouse is on vacation, sex in your spouses bed while they are at work, 50% of marriages end in divorce, not to mention the sexual desires/fantasies for those other than your partner.

It would appear that monogamy isn't the most effective tool for the human animal.

"Polyamory: often abbreviated as poly, is often described as 'consensual, ethical, and responsible non-monogamy.' It is the practice, desire, or acceptance of having more than one intimate relationship at a time with the knowledge and consent of everyone involved."

With such a lust for those other than your partner, and the actual acts of adultery (Emotional or physical) you'd think more humans would partake in such a system.

Our track record shows it would be fitting, so why don't humans adopt it? Why do we value exclusivity, while ineffectively carrying it out?

What's your take?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Other (Discuss)
    Vote C

2710

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes.

Humans were never meant to be monogamous. And I think we keep trying to suppress those natural urges but so far it's not working.

And men try hard to justify their cheating, saying it's "programmed" in them. So why the fuck not have a free for all?

American men and women do not value monogamy as much as they like to think they do.

• Completely agreed. I think it truly is.. an 'almost' impossible feat to suppress those urges. I know there's Mother Teresa's out there who are capable, but the vast majority fail.

I think that is a reasonable explanation (Programmed, as from an evolutionary standpoint it is true), but not justifiable to hurt someone.

Love the last sentence. Why do they continue valuing monogamy, whilst not being monogamous at the same time?

• I think your answer is true for some people, not for others. It's important to recognize that everyone is different. There is no "one size fits all" for relationships. Monogamy may not work for everyone, but neither would polyamory. I don't believe that polyamory is any more "natural" than monogamy is, because the emotions of attachment and jealousy that make us desire monogamous relationships are just as natural as the feelings of curiosity and boredom that make us cheat.

• Good insightful answer