Physical Abuse: I'm FINALLY getting out. Thoughts/opinions needed!!

I really need to move out of my parents house, asap. We’ve never really had a good relationship, with my dad being increasingly physically abusive and my mother standing by and letting it happen. I am 20 years old, and this has been going on since I was 9. I am in university, though they didn’t allow me to go away. I had been accepted to schools out of my town, but they didn’t let me go and said that if I stayed they would pay. They lied. My mom set me up a student loan, so I am paying for it entirely on my own. They don’t support what I chose (English major) and keep saying I may as well be dead since what I want to do is useless anyway. My friend has offered to let me move into a room in her house until I can find somewhere more stable. My parents are going to cancel my schooling, though I am not even sure if they can. My mom also said I can’t move out until I pay the loan off, but she cosigned for it, so doesn’t that mean she pays if I tell the bank I can’t? I’m going to move out regardless of what they say. I’m tired of being abused and treated like nothing. Opinions and thoughts on the loan/situation/next steps would be appreciated!

21

Most Helpful Girl

• find a center against family abuse and they will help guide you, they may even have options for you to help financially move out. Talk to your school about what is going on, yes, universities and colleges also have counseling center that are there to be used by the students. Also talk to financial office at school, they are the once who would now about your loan. Best of luck to you, you have a bright future ahead of you no matter your past, just keep going ahead. Sending you a huge hug.